Road rage close encounter...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Surely a single cyclist is by default singled up already?

RedRider

Pulling through
Difficult to ignore when you are lying on the verge or in a roadside hedge.
True and can imagine a experience like that could have a profound affect on a person's outlook. The point I was trying to make is that with anything short of physical damage there's no advantage in brooding about an incident so i try not to.
Having said that, the 'MGIF and I'm not going to let your safety get in my way' approach of some drivers does push my buttons on occasion. If someone does that, and if I'm in the mood and get the opportunity, I'll catch and make a point of sitting directly in front in the strongest primary, making sure I give them a cool look. Of course, this means the most dangerous driver in the queue will likely overtake again but I feel better for having re-asserted my right to be in the way and it helps me get the incident out of my system.
(I recognise I've made some contradictory points!)

Last edited:
Just as I won't turn up with a sword for gun duel to save my honour, I will not assert my right if I think I am dealing with a crazy. I will always make way on the first sign of unreasonable horning or tail-gating. Pointless being a dead hero.

As Redrider eloquently stated, the numbers are rising and there will be much better space for cyclists and more awareness about cycling. I recall 10 years ago the amount of b&£?hing and horning when riding 2 abreast on a wide road. Nowdays its not the case with the usual exceptions of course.

All th above does not guarantee that I might not lose it and deck the idiot that tried to do a dangerous overtake or does a left hook.,

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
groupcycling.jpg

(With a TMN to benb)

GC

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
We've ben over this a gazillion times on here but once more won't hurt I guess. I understand your diagram 100%. However, from a car driver's perspective, he wants to give the same space between his nearside and the thing he is overtaking. In riding two abreast that thing he is overtaking is closer to the middle of the road and thus he has to go on the far side of the road more than would otherwise be the case.

I understand that cyclists want the car driver to overtake single file just as he would overtake two abreast, like your diagram, but that just isn't the case.

So the car driver perceives that, in riding two abreast, cyclists are forcing him to either sit behind or attempt an overtake which would be more dangerous for him than if they were riding single file. Cyclists can argue until they are blue in the face but that particular perception is reality

I think the issue with cars overtaking is that rather than leaving the amount of room between me and them, some of them like to overtake bicycles by moving out as little as possible. On roads where two cars can pass each other without trouble, when I am in secondary, I am always amazed at the number of cars that barely bother to move out at all when passing. Some/most do the right thing and go right out over the central line (if there is one), but there is an alarming number who seem to think that crossing the central line is something they should do as little as possible, endangering other people (me) in the process.

400bhp

Guru
The only issue for car drivers with 2 abreast is the reduced visibility in front of the riders.

Also depends upon the group size. Not much point going on single file if there's 10 or so more.

Its (cyclists worrying about what sone car driver's think about road positioning) not worth thinking too hard about.

The real issue is the number of vehicles on the road. Not much will change until if (ever) this is sorted.

Top Bottom