Road Riding, The basics?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok, I usually ride on the pavements as I just don't see it as safe to use the roads, of course, I'm considerate on the pavement as I know I shouldn't be there.

I realised the other day that half of the reason I don't use roads is I don't know rules regarding cycles and position etc. So if anyone has any advice or links to learn road cycling, it would be appreciated immensely.

Adam

GrasB

Veteran
For a start take a look at the Highway code. From there you'll want to find out about your local bikeabilty courses & read a copy of cyclecraft. The latter should be found at your local library or bought for about £12 or less.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is Cycle Craft......the more learned on here will know where to get it.....

I learnt the hard way from a kid..........never read the book, but it's a great read for beginners I believe....

PS How old are you....? I'm 40 and I was allowed to cycle on the roads from an early age....things have changed a bit though..... I have a very eager son, and the roads near me are a barsteward for kids.... too narrow, too many HGV's to make a good cycle route to school...oh and a railway in the middle that complicates stuff.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Never go down the inside of a lorry (left hand side). They can't see you. Most things are common sense, Cycle craft as people have said is a good starting point. I started riding on the roads from about 10 or 11 we did The Cycling Proficiency Test with a local policeman at our local school that was nearly 30 years ago though now, i think there may be some sort of modern equivalent but i could be wrong.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Cyclecraft isn't just for beginners, it is for everyone even experienced riders came lean from it (unless they are type that think they know everything already). It is the basis of the Bikeability training programme which is the modern equivalent of Cycling Proficiency Training, only it goes way beyond the very limited Cycling Proficiency Test. You could also consider getting training, CTC has listing of National Standard Instructors in your area.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
iAmiAdam said:
Ok, I usually ride on the pavements as I just don't see it as safe to use the roads, of course, I'm considerate on the pavement as I know I shouldn't be there.

I realised the other day that half of the reason I don't use roads is I don't know rules regarding cycles and position etc. So if anyone has any advice or links to learn road cycling, it would be appreciated immensely.

Adam

There may be a cycle club near you you could ride with.Cycle touring clubs would maybe be more suitable. Riding in the middle of the group will give you a bit of confidence.Most clubs will let you ride a few times withouit joining to see if you like it.

Ask at bike shops or google for clubs .Or ask on here if anyone knows of one.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The problem with cycling clubs is that they are about cycling as sport, therefore mostly group riding, which is fine if you wanting to get into cycle sport.

If you are looking to learn about riding with traffic, then you would be far better off getting training from a qualified instructor, there are an increasing number of Local Authority schemes which offer this for free or at low cost.

Top Bottom