Road to Victory.... well hopefully... please read

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

Your regime doesn't sound that much fun to be honest, and I wouldn't be surprised if you end up getting fed up with it, due to the amount of time commitment involved.. Seems overly regimented and numbers-oriented rather than just getting out for a ride as and when the mood takes you and enjoying the experience. Unless you are racing competitively, things like average speed really aren't important. For general fitness all you need to do is ride at a moderate pace and build up the total hours and miles. Gradually you get a bit quicker and are able to ride further before tiring out, and hills do not slow you down quite so much. There's no need to make a big deal about the technicalities of it unless competing against the clock. The bottom line is anyone who does some regular physical activity will be fitter than someone who doesn't do any, which means even someone with a fairly casual attitude to cycling will become significantly fitter than the average sedentary citizen over time. The important thing is to approach activity in a way that it does not become a chore to be endured not enjoyed. For example there is no way on earth I'm going to force myself to get up at 5.30 on a freezing cold, dark, winter morning in order to ride a bike!. However, on a nice crisp but sunny winters day a ride can be highly enjoyable and therefore something I will do voluntarily without it becoming a drudge.
I know of several people who have adopted a similar approach to you; i.e. go in all guns blazing with a demanding and unrealistic exercise regime that leaves them with little other free time. Eventually they have come to resent doing the activity in a rigidly structured way, and have ended up throwing in the towel and stopping completely.

Its not for everyone mate but its the only chance i can get my workouts done, balancing work and family. _- it may seem very regimented but its a routine that I have carried out diligently since october and I feel really good. I have went out on those really dark and wet days and admit its not pleasant but when you are out on the road the weather can change so sometimes you just need to suck it up

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

So you used C2W scheme but don't use it to cycle to work...you may wish to check the Ts & Cs (not that most companies, nor HMRC are likely to pursue you for breach and the money saved back)

13 miles is about an hour commute at a leisurely pace, no real need for a shower unless you are extremely sweaty

I don;t know if you have any joint issues, but make sure you have proper form for all those weights, squats, and the swimming to avoid hurting yourself (you do risk overuse injuries going at it all guns blazing anyhow)

I intend to cycle as per the T&C's but i am going to have to cycle to the lesiure centre to use their facilities

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

Your biggest attribute is a positive mental attitude, a sheer bloody single-mindeness to stick at it. If you have that, then anything positive you do will have an effect because you'll keep doing it, keep doing it, keep doing it.

Agreed!

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

So you used C2W scheme but don't use it to cycle to work...you may wish to check the Ts & Cs (not that most companies, nor HMRC are likely to pursue you for breach and the money saved back)

13 miles is about an hour commute at a leisurely pace, no real need for a shower unless you are extremely sweaty

I don;t know if you have any joint issues, but make sure you have proper form for all those weights, squats, and the swimming to avoid hurting yourself (you do risk overuse injuries going at it all guns blazing anyhow)

Injuries are all part of it vickster - you cant expect to do this intensity and not get hurt .

since october Ive had an ankle issue from running (hence only running once/twice a week) and Ive also hurt my back doing dumbell rows and dead lifts. That being said I still think the improvements out"weigh" the bad :smile:

si_c

Guru
Agreed - I am hopeful of two or three commutes during the summer to change things up a little
13 mile each way is more or less my commute. The general improvement in my fitness and speed was more in the first year that I did that every day than it was in the 2 years before. It usually takes me about an hour door to door, but that includes the shower at the other end, which I definitely need when I get there. Definitely worth considering getting a full month membership of the leisure centre and just using their changing facilities daily, would probably work out less than the fuel for driving.

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

13 mile each way is more or less my commute. The general improvement in my fitness and speed was more in the first year that I did that every day than it was in the 2 years before. It usually takes me about an hour door to door, but that includes the shower at the other end, which I definitely need when I get there. Definitely worth considering getting a full month membership of the leisure centre and just using their changing facilities daily, would probably work out less than the fuel for driving.

nice one...

dont think I could afford the membership although never thought of that mate. ill dwell on that

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
One of biggest causes of falling by the wayside if what happens when time constraints or outside factors mean you miss elements of your workouts. Building it into a routine is a good start.

In the early days almost any amount of exercise will improve your fitness and speed but eventually if you keep doing the same things you will plateau. Moat structred training regimes are periodised so you put emphasis on different aspects of your fitness throughout the year. So you may focus ob building strength or endurance during one period, then focus on maintaining them in the next whilst building you hill climbing ability or top end speed etc. It is easier to maintain an aspect of firness than to build it.

So do vary your workouts, perhaps changing them once every 4-6 weeks to keep your body challenged and avoid that plateau or loss of interest. I would also consider what is most imprtant to you in each period of training. For instance if you had to give up one or two sessions due to family commitments, which workouts are a priority and which can you drop. Don't obsess that an activity has to happen on a particular day. If you miss a day don't try and cram in what you missed.

Oh and don't forget the rides you do purely for fun.

Good look.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Injuries are all part of it vickster - you cant expect to do this intensity and not get hurt .

since october Ive had an ankle issue from running (hence only running once/twice a week) and Ive also hurt my back doing dumbell rows and dead lifts. That being said I still think the improvements out"weigh" the bad :smile:
That’s a bizarre attitude :wacko:. There’s no need to get injured if you don’t have an underlying medical condition, are careful and don’t get knocked / fall off

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

I decided to strength train because I do have underlying weaknesses issues particularly with my core and glutes . I'm doing weights for the first time and its hardly surprising I've hurt myself. if I / we worried about aches pains or falling off bikes we'd never do anything

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

One of biggest causes of falling by the wayside if what happens when time constraints or outside factors mean you miss elements of your workouts. Building it into a routine is a good start.

In the early days almost any amount of exercise will improve your fitness and speed but eventually if you keep doing the same things you will plateau. Moat structred training regimes are periodised so you put emphasis on different aspects of your fitness throughout the year. So you may focus ob building strength or endurance during one period, then focus on maintaining them in the next whilst building you hill climbing ability or top end speed etc. It is easier to maintain an aspect of firness than to build it.

So do vary your workouts, perhaps changing them once every 4-6 weeks to keep your body challenged and avoid that plateau or loss of interest. I would also consider what is most imprtant to you in each period of training. For instance if you had to give up one or two sessions due to family commitments, which workouts are a priority and which can you drop. Don't obsess that an activity has to happen on a particular day. If you miss a day don't try and cram in what you missed.

Oh and don't forget the rides you do purely for fun.

Good look.

good advice

I intend to do just that in spring.

different weight routines etc

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

something I should have mentioned more though is the stretching and its benefits
I am much more limber and don't have same aches and pains following day. also sleeping better afterwards
also to note I get a full rub down from a sports masseuse every fortnight

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Roger has been carrying a wrist injury for three months
it happens to us all

But look at his career at the top for well over a decade and see how many times he has been injured compared to his contemparies. As has been said upthread (I think) the mistake many make is that their had days are not hard enough and the rest days not restful enough.

Top Bottom