Road to Victory.... well hopefully... please read

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Weights had a weird effect on me - as a student I had a set in my room and did a fair amount of weight training, with very little in the way of discernible results for ages, and then over a few months everything 'popped' and I got actual muscle you could see (I was always a skinny type with drainpipe legs and pipe cleaner arms prevoously) The weird thing is that 20 years later, I very rarely do any weight training, but I do have a 20kg dumbell set that lives under the sofa. It's useful for if the rug starts to curl up. Last year I thought I'd start doing some weights when no-one was about, just because I was in the mood, and the definition in my arms came back in about 3 sessions. It definitely wasn't me imagining it because the OH commented on it too, and she didn't know I'd been doing anything - so stick with it - my experience is it takes ages to get the growth and definition at first, but then you can get it back really easily if you ever lose it.

Aerobic fitness seems harder to get back, mind you.

Are you doing more cycling miles yet?

Re: getting a shower at work - some gyms are very cheap - e.g. Pure put a leaflet through at ours yesterday for £15 a month. If there is one of them near work that gets you a shower and access to a bigger variety of gym machines / free weights for not much. That said, I have a shower-in-a-packet (wet wipes) and shower-in-a-can (deodorant) at work and that gets me by even when it was boiling last summer.

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

Knees up thank you for the reponse - its great to get "read world" feedback.

How long do you reckon itll be before i get that all over definition and did you increase weight regularly.? Im using 10 lb dumbs at the moment
as for the cycling Im only getting 50-60 miles in at the moment a week because of the weather and family committments - im hoping to increase that very soon. Might consider gym for this winter

KneesUp

Guru
It’s hard to say how long really. I was in my early 20s when I did weights and age makes a difference. That said I had 60kg of plates and did a variety of exercises targeting different areas using dumb bells and a barbell. I used to do 3 sets of each exercise weighted so I could do 10 or so the first set. My rule of thumb was that if I could do more than 12 or fewer than 7 the weight was wrong. By the third set I was down to 5 or 6 reps. Occasionally id mix it up and do lots of reps with light weights or a few with heavier ones. The decathlon. 10kg dumbbell sets are quite good. I’d recommend two of them. You can buy the bar bell separately and use the same weights.

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

hi guys
usual check in as promised

feeling really good - im doing extra miles now in the saddle increasing my morning rides to nearly 20 miles and then long rides at weekend when i can - average rides are up around the high 15mphs/16mphs on the flat solo rides
no more back problems and hips and core and glutes feel very strong
im at a great ideal weight now and looking lean

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

Hi again
for those that are still following this thread or even interested remotely lol...

April was the month where I saw great changes everywhere, I've raised the intensity with which i ride on my cycles before work. Im doing just short of 20 miles Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays with double the amount or more on sundays. My speed and strength is at its best - smashing all my previous months times on Strava for eg -solo rides are in and around 16mph (on variable terrain and moderate winds) and hills are becoming enjoyable ;)
Body changes are massive - my core is the strongest its ever been - i havent had a sore back or twinge in two months now - after the 30 mile mark I am aware of the pains that I have had in the past but standing up on the peddles or moving position puts it to sleep again
I now have muscle - biceps, traps, and even in my upper back are showing growth and i can also see it in my quads and calves.
I've had to buy a new clothes wardrobe but its a price im happy to pay.
Anothe change which is remarkable and Im really happy to report is my respitory system - being an asthmatic Im always having to bring my inhaler on rides just i case - occassionally in the past i would have a had a pre-emptive puff or a stop and a puff if things were getting hard 20 miles in . I am over the moon to report that I havent had to do anything like this for weeks!

The bike continues to prove once again that its the best form of exercise (for me) and the best investment I could ever have made in my health

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

Im fortunate to have my cycle on B roads with next to no traffic I suppose

nagden

Über Member
I suffer with slight asthma and have found cycling has helped along with weight loss and lower blood pressure. I think doctors should prescribe exercise first before they rush to prescribe bucket loads of pills.

vickster

Legendary Member
I suffer with slight asthma and have found cycling has helped along with weight loss and lower blood pressure. I think doctors should prescribe exercise first before they rush to prescribe bucket loads of pills.
They certainly do discuss the benefits for many conditions, but depends on the patient being compliant/being able to be. Not everyone is able to cycle for example, get to a gym, a pool, have time for / the ability to take long walks.
It’s not always simple/possible. It may also be negligent of a doctor to not offer / withhold medication if a patient’s condition warrants it (it can always be reduced/stopped if a patient can address the condition through lifestyle)

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

Doctors want you out the door as quickly as possible - the act of prescribing tablets is swift but the consequences can be severe

nagden

Über Member
They certainly do discuss the benefits for many conditions, but depends on the patient being compliant/being able to be. Not everyone is able to cycle for example, get to a gym, a pool, have time for / the ability to take long walks.
It’s not always simple/possible. It may also be negligent of a doctor to not offer / withhold medication if a patient’s condition warrants it (it can always be reduced/stopped if a patient can address the condition through lifestyle)

My expérience has been with the French health care system. It has been very good to me but I do worry about the number of pills that are thrown at you. I think they see it as preventative. However as I stated in 15 years here no one has suggested weight loss or exercise, that includes three GPs And two cardiologists.

Top Bottom