Road to Victory.... well hopefully... please read

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Something is wrong if after doing that for 3 months and only doing 15mph average, what is your aim.

My regime, 2k minimum in the pool 4 times a week at less than 2 minutes per 100 metre.
2 x gym sessions working on weight, off there in a few minutes.
4 hours a week on the bike mainly mtb off road and tracks working quite hard, averaging 14mph, road is quicker, but I seldom do it nowadays. I must add that the mileage has been down recently due to a back problem, it is gathering pace again though.

Unlike John I have no problem with being up at 5am 7 days a week. Not a lot of use after 10.30pm though.

I am 62 and over weight.

midlife

Guru
Have you rear Pete Read's Black Book if your aim is to go faster?

vickster

Legendary Member
something I should have mentioned more though is the stretching and its benefits
I am much more limber and don't have same aches and pains following day. also sleeping better afterwards
also to note I get a full rub down from a sports masseuse every fortnight
You pay for massage but can’t afford the gym to use the facilities?

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
That’s a great general exercise routine for overall aerobic fitness, muscle retention, core strength and stability... but, IMO, weight training will do absolutely nothing to help you go faster on a bike. Swimming and running might help a little, but not nearly as much as having used that time riding your bike. As others have said, only more time on the bike will help you to go faster if that’s your goal.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Something is wrong if after doing that for 3 months and only doing 15mph average
That seems a little harsh unless more is known about bike, tyres, route, weather conditions, weight, fitness, traffic levels and a whole lot more.

My average is typically 15-16mph for a solo weekend ride, but I can manage far faster for sustained distances if conditions are perfect.
Conversely, in winter conditions my average drops significantly.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just to echo what @YukonBoy says, key things are routine and enjoyment.

If you don't enjoy it, you won't keep it up at all.

If you don't get into a routine you'll drop it as soon as things get a bit tough and excuses raise their heads.

Don't get too hung up on speed. I have a routine. It involves getting up at silly o'clock. I enjoy it. I'm still slower than the speeds bandied around by speed merchants like ... @vickster ;) :smile:
:laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Maybe we need to rename @vickster as the speedster

The Rover

Guru
You mention that your swimming isn’t great, I was the same so I went on some lessons/improvement classes.

It made a huge difference, once I’d understood my mistakes it didn’t take long to start enjoying it more and seeing the benefits.

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

You mention that your swimming isn’t great, I was the same so I went on some lessons/improvement classes.

It made a huge difference, once I’d understood my mistakes it didn’t take long to start enjoying it more and seeing the benefits.

Took lessons at the start of the year but only improved slightly - enough to get me out there once a week. I do feel better for it thought - loosens you up and gets the blood flowing before work

as for the previous comments. Perhaps the upper body routines do little for my cycling but I am feeling good and starting to get toned up around the shoulders and back... At the pyhsio today and got the back rubbed out - despite all that my back feels better in general

I hope to continue the thread and let everyone know how I am doing

Globalti

Legendary Member
You'd do better to ride more and supplement that with more useful work like cutting the grass, cleaning the car, brushing up leaves and chopping firewood. That burns calories and achieves stuff.

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

Hi guys
Just stopping by to report my goals a month on...
Continuing tjhe programme as described in original post.
My average speed is now the high 15mph zones biting on the heels of 16.
I'm starting to develop a strong core and my arms \shoulders are developing as intended
I've had to drop the running due to peroneal injury for third t ime. Running not for me

Hooping for even better results next month

OP
OP
TwistedParsnip

TwistedParsnip

Hi again

just checking in as promised every month to let you know how I am progressing. February was a solid month and have improved again on cycling times - avg speed in and around 16mph (depending on weather and other variables)
Core is getting very strong- havent had any back pain in a couple of weeks - arms, chest and shoulders are beginning to show form and growth
Feeling good guys!

Top Bottom