Roadbike and now thinking of e-bike..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I am on my second ebike ,I love it and have done 12500 miles in just over two years takes me all over the place ,only advice I would say get a good one ,buy cheap buy twice.
I'm always intrigued about people who use their bikes a lot (and cars, motorbikes, etc).
Do you mean you rode 12500 miles on your 1st or 2nd bike, or both your bikes combined, over 2 years?
What made you get the 2nd bike?
Which ones did/do you have (if you don't mind saying)?
TIA!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Can we please no misuse the world analogue. If you want to talk about normal bikes just call them bikes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Either ebikes let you make less effort, or you make the same effort but get up the hills quicker.

I want to make my maximum reasonable effort not less, and I am not in a hurry.

Being stuck in a steep-sided valley on a heavy ebike with a flat battery 50 km from my destination really does not appeal. The only ways of avoiding that are to do shorter/easier rides (no thanks) or to carry extra batteries, so even more weight and expense.

I don't play golf, but if I did, I would walk the course, not use an electric golf cart to get around.

Obviously, if/when my circumstances change and I can no longer do my rides without help then I will seek it and be very grateful for it.

Seems to me those who for some reason don't like eBikes are the ones who haven't ridden one or owned one.

I have no physicals problems riding an old fashioned analogue bike, but having now owned an eBike for a good while, I just don't see why any one given the choice would want to ride an non eBike??

Oh how many eBikes do you see going around town at 15.5mph speed limit, infact most eBikes I see around don't even need to be pedalled ;)......As me about powered scooters however am old fashioned on my opinion, but again purely because I've never tired one.
I've ridden ebikes and they are fun.

But normal bikes - cheaper. Lighter. Less maintenance. I can race on them.

I've met old guys and girls out on packs of ebikes and they're delighted how they let them go further and faster than they used to. I'm very pleased for them. No doubt that will be me and my mates in due course - but for now I love the exertion of cycling.

CXRAndy

Guru
I can race on them

I'll race ya ;) shall we say 20miles flat or super hilly. Ill ride my shopper ebike.

but for now I love the exertion of cycling.

This the part that most miss. I come back plenty sweaty from riding my ebike.

Its just the same as a standard bike, you put in as much or little effort you desire. The only difference you will be traveling far faster whilst riding in a lower effort session.

Biker man

I'm always intrigued about people who use their bikes a lot (and cars, motorbikes, etc).
Do you mean you rode 12500 miles on your 1st or 2nd bike, or both your bikes combined, over 2 years?
What made you get the 2nd bike?
Which ones did/do you have (if you don't mind saying)?
TIA!
12500 on second bike did just over 5000miles on first changed because of problems and the motor only had 32nmt it was useless on a hilly area I live .

Ascentale

We have "analog" bikes and an e-bike. For short trips, I use the analog bike. The e-bike is useful for longer rides (10+ miles) where I am not really looking for a workout and just need to get to the destination. It's nice because I'd rather be riding a bike than in a car.

I'll race ya ;) shall we say 20miles flat or super hilly. Ill ride my shopper ebike.

This the part that most miss. I come back plenty sweaty from riding my ebike.

Its just the same as a standard bike, you put in as much or little effort you desire. The only difference you will be traveling far faster whilst riding in a lower effort session.
I also think my mates on normal bikes would be a bit peed off at me blasting up hills on an ebike whilst they are human powered.
So if I was being sociable I'd definitely be having an easier ride than normal.

And for racing I mean official racing. I don't think ebikes are allowed yet unless there's a niche category somewhere.

keithmac

Guru
@ray316 if you are considering an e-mtb it may be worth hiring one out for a day to see how you get on?.

I know theres a couple of hire centres at Dalby Forest, and seen a few more about on my travels.

For the cost of the bikes £60 for a day out is a wise investment.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
My use case is like this.

The E-Bike was bought to encourage my outdoor riding and assist in the weight loss I intended to do. You can only do so much indoor riding before you go :crazy:. Medical issues delayed that, but I am now down 20 odd kilos from the time when it was bought.

Solo rides, currently up to and sometimes over 100km, are generally done on my E-Bike (a 2018 Cube Agree Hybrid SL A road bike). They, more often than not, involve more climbing for any given distance than my group rides. Most of the climbing below 7% is done without assistance, that gradient may go up as I have just installed a 36T largest rear sprocket, up from a 32. I use the assistance as a get out of jail card, only when I can't pedal anymore is it used. I can, on flat or slight gradients, ride above the 25kmh cut off so the battery is not used if the assistance is turned on, usually it is off until needed. So although I have an E-Bike most rides involve little use of the assistance. I get a descent workout with the added ability to dig myself out of almost any holes I find myself in, trying not to have to walk :blush:. Most rides are done for pleasure.

Group rides are usually done on a non motorised bike (a GT Grade AL X, a gravel bike). I normally group ride with my brothers and they take a dim view of my 'cheating bike' even when I have no battery or motor installed :sad::laugh:. Due to their fitness level, or lack there of, the rides are often fairly flat and relatively slow for me, 18-22 kmh, I can do the same routes @25+ kmh. These are also done for pleasure, although my brothers may disagree :laugh:

I have a flat bar hybrid (BMC Alpenchallenge) that I sometimes ride short distances on that is not motorised. I find that I am more used to the drop bar setup and can't ride as fluidly on this as the other two.

It is, as always, what your use case is and how you use the tools you have that dictate their effectiveness.

I chose to use the motor as an assistance device, only used when I feel I can't do it own my own.

Others chose to use, a pedal assist E-Bike, as an always on addition to their own efforts. Thus making the whole ride slightly easier.

The last type of E-Motorbike where pedalling is not needed for the motor to run is, to my mind, a step too far. I know there will be some who will need this type of bike for physical reasons. However they, IMO, will be a small minority of users. Most of the riders will be the lazy arses I was, up until the last few years, choosing to get about with the minimum of physical effort, look at the rise in popularity of the E-Scooter as an example :cursing:

Enjoy whatever you chose, in whatever manner you chose and 🖕 to anyone who gives you grief about it .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The last type of E-Motorbike where pedalling is not needed for the motor to run is, to my mind, a step too far. I know there will be some who will need this type of bike for physical reasons. However they, IMO, will be a small minority of users. Most of the riders will be the lazy arses I was, up until the last few years, choosing to get about with the minimum of physical effort, look at the rise in popularity of the E-Scooter as an example :cursing:
I stopped at a village shop in Scotland and saw an ebike parked nearby. An unfit-looking man around my age strolled out of the shop, and over to the bike. He got on, flicked a lever, and whizzed off without even a single revolution of the cranks. I could see why he might need some help on the lumpier sections of that road but this was an easy level section along the loch. I did think that seemed pretty lazy. From the way he walked, he didn't seem to have any medical reason to not be able to pedal, but from the way he looked, if he didn't start doing some exercise he soon would!

Mike_P

Guru
I stopped at a village shop in Scotland and saw an ebike parked nearby. An unfit-looking man around my age strolled out of the shop, and over to the bike. He got on, flicked a lever, and whizzed off without even a single revolution of the cranks.
To be perfectly legal a throttle can only be used to 4mph before the ebike has to be pedallled except if the ebike predates that bit of legislation enforced in early 2016. Hence very few new ebikes have a throttle.

Top Bottom