Roadie gel saddle - advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Due to nether region chafing no matter which shorts I wear an both on my MTB or roadie, I have been looking at gel shorts, but then got thinking!...

Why not a gel saddle?!

OK, they may be frowned on by the purists out there, however, I have no shame and I need advice.

I can't afford anything over about £50 and need advice on which model to look at

Your help is really appreciated

T

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
They are usually too fat and then not comfy.

For £50 go and get a proper measure and the right perch.

I have a Bontrager Affinity R purchased after a measure - it is narrower than I would have bought left to my own devices but it is so comfy!

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
They are usually too fat and then not comfy.

For £50 go and get a proper measure and the right perch.

I have a Bontrager Affinity R purchased after a measure - it is narrower than I would have bought left to my own devices but it is so comfy!
Thanks Spokey, I'll have a think about that - no local saddle fits that I know of tho :sad:

adamhearn

Veteran
Wouldn't a gel saddle be used to lessen impact/spread the load so to speak rather than reduce chaffing? Chaffing would suggest poor fit, rough edges or something along those lines. I had a wider more padded saddle and whilst it was comfortable enough I swapped it out for a Charge Spoon and have no complaints.

Do your shorts fit well - could they be moving, causing any issues?

Globalti

Legendary Member
You need a clean, minimal interface with the saddle, which should be shaped right to cup your sit bones. A gel saddle will allow you to sink in and that will put pressure on the tender bits as well as get sweaty. dhb shorts are good; I would recommend a Charge Spoon saddle, loads of people swear by them. My neighbour, who took up cycling as a very overweight unfit man, was having terrible saddle pain until he swapped to a Spoon - now every time he goes out he tells me how he's completely forgotten his saddle problems.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
I use a Specialized Romin Pro which has little/no padding - it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever used (more so than my old Brookes)! The reason being is that it's perfect for my sit bones. I would recommend changing saddles first!

S1mon

yes same here had an ass fit and ended up with a romin pro first ride hurt a bit now can do 4 hours pluss np pain .
my pain was never chaffing though always sore sit bones or butt i would make sure your shorts are a good fit

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Having problems myself and I think I have sussed out what causes my personal chafing problem. I get rubbed quite badly at the crease where my leg joins the groin, along the underwear line I suppose you would call it. I am pretty sure that I need to invest in a more t shaped rather than pear shaped saddle as I feel it is the part of the saddle that tapers from the rear to the front that is causing my problem. May be something to think about if it is in the same region that you are getting rubbed.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nowadays I avoid hotel exercise bikes because they have gel saddles, which you can't adjust for angle and which make you sweaty in the groin area. They really are unpleasant. Also the poor position gives me knee pain.

slow coach

Regular
I think many of us have been through this. I have to agree that gel saddles are not the answer. Also agree with those who mentioned the charge spoon saddle. i have one of these along with a san marco and a scott . although it is the cheapest it is the best. If you are suffering from chaffing try using assos chamois cream and invest in the best shorts you can afford. I used cheap shorts for ages then got a pair of mavic shorts, best thing i did.

Top Bottom