Roads around Rutland Water

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I'm planning my ride to Exton to back an X for the A,B,C challenge and I would like to include a lap of Rutland Water whilst I am there. On the map there are a couple of A roads - A 606 and A6003, does anyone have any experience of riding on these roads ? I'm working on the assumption that roads in this area are cycle friendly and I don't want any nasty surprises.

KneesUp

Guru
Not cycled them, but I've driven them - the roads around there are to my mind relatively narrow for the speed of traffic. I'd avoid the A roads if you want a relaxing ride, but they're possibly ok if you just want to get somewhere quickly. There are lots of lovely little roads going between dry stone walls and 'classic' countryside.

OP
OP
rugby bloke

rugby bloke

Veteran
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will modify the route to take a wider route around Rutland Water. I have ridden around the area on the Rutland Border Epique Sportive a couple of times so I know there are some excellent , quite lanes. Sounds more fun to ride these than the roads bordering the lake.
@biggs682 - No date fixed yet, I'm going to start from Oundle so need to coordinate with a visit to the mother in law.

KneesUp

Guru
I'll confess I was thinking of Carssington Water when I wrote my reply above - I've also driven around Rutland Water too and although I don't recall as many dry stone walls, the speed / road with observations still stand!

Isn't there an offroad cycle path around Rutland Water,

There is - lots of it's unpaved, though, so it depends on your bike.

I'm not a great fan of the A6003 or the A606 though there are much worse A-roads. There are some lovely lanes nearby, though - the back road from Uppingham to Oakham (via Ridlington and Brooke) is gorgeous albeit hilly!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'll second @Supersuperleeds comments about the A606 although I've not ridden it, just driven it and cycled areas of the cycle way alongside lot. There's a couple of 30mph sections around Empingham (so thre's your 'E') and Whitwell, but the rest is all national speed limit and can be fairly busy with quite a lot of HGVs

Top Bottom