Robbed in London....but very lucky result

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So I was walking back to my hotel in London near the Barbican......

Walking along the pavement about 10pm using my phone to navigate as I wasn't sure of the way to the hotel. Next thing I know, a motorbike has mounted the pavement behind me and the pillion passenger has snatched my phone.

After a couple of bad swear words I ran after them but there was no chance. I was so shocked I didn't even register the colour of the motorbike, let alone a registration. Hotel was only a couple of minutes away so I ran back. They called the police and helped me cancel my DR and CR cards (I keep my phone in a card wallet so they went too)

Fast forwards 10 hectic minutes...call Mrs N...she says "you've had your phone stolen haven't you?". Turns out that a minute earlier she had a call from a random woman who had found my phone in the street. I put my home phone number on the lock screen so she called it. All intact except the emergency £20 gone.

She walks around to my hotel to reunite me with my phone, all fine, everything intact. Seems the robbers had snatched the phone and taken the cash but, bizzarely had chucked the £500 phone

Police turn up, they can't believe my good fortune. I decline the offer to report the crime as it only cost me £20 and they could probably do without the admin. Proper lucky result for me in the round. Just without cards for a few days whilst replacements are organised

Glad you are ok.

I'm sure the fantasists will be along soon to tell us all how they would have become ninjas and done something amazeballs.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ha! I'd love to see their faces if they stole my phone,then found out it's an 8 year old Nokia pay as you go jobbie! With no credit on to boot!!:rofl:

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yeah, don't mess with me.

@nickyboy think you've been very fortunate there.

Agree....at the time it's a nightmare...no phone with all my life on it, no CR/DR cards, no cash or means to get cash. Then suddenly a lovely person finds the phone and returns it. Got their address so a nice bouquet of flowers asap (as soon as I have a way to pay for it anyway)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Does anyone have the stuff on their smartphones backed up in some way?

It was a bit annoying when I lost my little Nokia which only contained a list of my phone numbers.

Does anyone have the stuff on their smartphones backed up in some way?

It was a bit annoying when I lost my little Nokia which only contained a list of my phone numbers.

Apple does this automatically and it is easy to retrieve

Most phones will allow you to backup to a "Cloud" of some sort or to a computer.

The former is more reliable as it is done by he phone at set intervals and you do not need to remember it

Some phones are now unpopular with thieves as they know that within minutes they can be "bricked" by the owner and hence have no resale value.

Apple's activation lock and reset systems have been shown to have reduced the theft of their products. and again other systems have similar

Top Bottom