Robbed in London....but very lucky result

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Cheeky bstard' s shame they didn't fall off and lose a limb ! Glad your ok :okay:

I still to this day don't get why people have the phone credit/debit card combo thing it's easy pickings and you lose the lot ! I know a wallet or phone is just as easy to pinch on it's own. Just seems like a tea leafs dream :cursing:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So I was walking back to my hotel in London near the Barbican......

Walking along the pavement about 10pm using my phone to navigate as I wasn't sure of the way to the hotel. Next thing I know, a motorbike has mounted the pavement behind me and the pillion passenger has snatched my phone.

After a couple of bad swear words I ran after them but there was no chance. I was so shocked I didn't even register the colour of the motorbike, let alone a registration. Hotel was only a couple of minutes away so I ran back. They called the police and helped me cancel my DR and CR cards (I keep my phone in a card wallet so they went too)

Fast forwards 10 hectic minutes...call Mrs N...she says "you've had your phone stolen haven't you?". Turns out that a minute earlier she had a call from a random woman who had found my phone in the street. I put my home phone number on the lock screen so she called it. All intact except the emergency £20 gone.

She walks around to my hotel to reunite me with my phone, all fine, everything intact. Seems the robbers had snatched the phone and taken the cash but, bizzarely had chucked the £500 phone

Police turn up, they can't believe my good fortune. I decline the offer to report the crime as it only cost me £20 and they could probably do without the admin. Proper lucky result for me in the round. Just without cards for a few days whilst replacements are organised
Id imagine they nicked it hoping to find that, because you were using it, it was unlocked. They can then deactivate the find my phone setting, clear the password and turn it off to avoid being tracked.

As it was locked, they are safer off ditching it.

They probably nicked a dozen that night, so you were wrong not to report it.

Regardless of loss, you were the victim.of a crime that has gone unreported, is not logged, will not show on any records and not assist in generating profiling or patterns of crime. I know you felt you were being kind in saving coppers time but you really were not helping.

Glad you were ok and got your phone back. Dont think too badly of London, this type of stuff really does happen all over the place.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Under crime recording rules it will still be recorded, but will probably be administratively filed as undetected on the basis of an unco-operative victim.

Interesting...the convo with the bobby went something like this (I can't remember word for word)....

Him So I know you've got your phone back but do you want to report the theft?
Me Well, I'm not bothered myself as I've only lost £20 and presumably it's administratively a hassle for you that you don't need?
Him What we would do is record the crime then record it as "closed"
Me Well I'm not bothered if you're not (it was midnight by then and I was a bit knackered and wanted to go to bed)
Him OK, have a good evening

If he'd pressed me to report it I would but he sounded as laissez faire about it as I was TBH

If anyone's interested this is pretty well the exact location it happened
https://goo.gl/maps/Utb5WS1YSU32

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
It seems to be a regular occurrence in London ive seen it happen right outside my place of work and also in Islington on my way home. Some police in a ford focus we're chasing a male and female on a moped for doing the same thing i would assume. Not sure if the pair were ever caught but it seems to be a spat of thefts like that here and there. I think the police even took down one of the biggest gangs that operated around central London and the more gentrified parts of it last year.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE="Marmion, post: 4734175, member: 33185]
I'm sure the fantasists will be along soon to tell us all how they would have become ninjas and done something amazeballs.[/QUOTE]

Strangely, you're the only person to mention such a thing. You're clearly a violence obsessed Walt.

[QUOTE="Marmion, post: 4734175, member: 33185]
I'm sure the fantasists will be along soon to tell us all how they would have become ninjas and done something amazeballs.

Strangely, you're the only person to mention such a thing. You're clearly a violence obsessed Walt.[/QUOTE]
Even more strangely, this will have been the first thread you haven't, I wonder why...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Feel free to tell a story
You can be Drago's User76 Malone...

caphurr1.jpg

Top Bottom