Robert Marchand Sets New Hour World Record.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Seen this earlier today - lots of the general population would struggle to beat him.
I suspect there are many of us on here never mind the rest of the population
I reckon I could beat him, but ask me again in 60 years.
You could try asking me in 50 years, but I suspect you'd have to sweep me back up.

stewie griffin

Über Member
Robert has retired this month at 106, doctor's orders stated as something along the lines of "don't exert yourself like that anymore" (in French!).
Sorry if it's been mentioned, couldn't find anything in a search.

Very well done, it's something to get to 106 in half decent health let alone do what this chap has done.

Chapeau Monsieur Marchand :bravo::cheers:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
for competitors aged 105 years and over :eek::bravo::bravo:

Earlier this evening at the National Velodrome in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, Robert Marchand covered 22.547 km in one hour.

"No, I'm not tired, I have no pain in my legs, I have pain in my arms. He joked after 92 laps, surrounded by a swarm of journalists, saying he was surprised to have already finished.

"I thought I still had miles to go, I could have gone faster," said the centenarian who had gained momentum in the final laps.

"Now I'm waiting for my opponent", the one who will beat his record, in the new category of the record of the hour of the more than 105 years, he still laughed.

His performance, to be approved by the International Cycling Union (UCI), must pass the test of anti-doping tests, which - if the cyclist is loyal to his lifestyle - should be a formality.

Full report from French Newspaper Le Populaire du Centre LINK

EDIT: BBC News LINK
I'll have a go at that in 40 years time.:laugh::laugh::laugh::okay:

hoopdriver

Guru
He apparently still rides his gym-bicycle though - just no more competition. He's led quite an interesting life outside cycling too. Lumberjack, firefighter, gardener, wine merchant, union member for over 90 years (!), lived in Canada and Venezuela... What a remarkable man!

Last edited:
Top Bottom