Robert Millar is going to name names?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Robert Millar said:
I started writing my explanation back in February and to my shame it has sat in a folder unfinished. I think I wanted it to be a story of sorts but I now know it doesn't need to be entertaining – facts, names and places will do, and then a basic conclusion. It's not my place to suggest how to use the information, just to provide it. This latest affair has reminded me I really need to get on with it and send it to someone who I think will use it wisely. I'm not seeking to be a hero or a martyr for doing so. I have no agenda or a position to defend and I certainly don't think it'll win me any brownie points but if it helps understand why the culture got as bad as it did or why the Omertà dominated then so be it.
Post on CyclingNews.

That should be an interesting read ... :whistle:

Noodley

Indeed it should.

The present day riders can rightly say this has nothing to do with them and I'd agree: their mentality has moved on. So many other things in life have improved but cycling seems stuck with a mentality of cover-ups and deceptions and they always get dragged out at Tour de France time when they'll get the most coverage. Isn't it time that stopped and stuff like this is sorted out quickly ?

The timing is I suspect exactly this, a publicity target.

The other thing I would like to see in these cases is a "declaration of interest", in other owrds a clear statement of the deal that has / has not been made.

Surely this is the last thing that we need.....

Unless we can learn how the culture became so pervasive in cycling and how it became "accepted practice" then we are not going to be able to understant the present problems.

Those who fail to learn from the mistakes of their predecessors are destined to repeat them.

We have all the lessons we need from the Armstrong era. No need to go raking up anything earlier.

The professional cyclists of one generation move on to be the influential coaches, managers etc. in the next.

Turning a blind eye to the generation that were managing the teams in the Armstrong era and key to the use of drugs in the peloton is absolutely essential.

a) There's hardly any of the Millar's competitors currently involved in team management.
b) So what if 25 years ago they did dope ? It tells us nothing about how they perform their current roles, whatever they are..

a) There's hardly any of the Millar's competitors currently involved in team management.
b) So what if 25 years ago they did dope ? It tells us nothing about how they perform their current roles, whatever they are..

But it does shed a light on how drug taking developed and took root in the sport.

I always wonder why people are so keen to accept these cheats, condone their actions and to avoid exposing them for what they were

What annoys me most is the hypocrisy of some of the TDF commentators who were professionals during this era.
DGB
I dunno. To put it in perspective, no commentator mentions drugs in any other sport, athletics, rugby, football, snooker. Cycling is fairly enlightened I reckon.

Top Bottom