Rock shox SID...so light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

Got my new Rockshox SID delivered this morning.
They are soooo light.
Can't wait to get them on the bike.
Going to upgrade my headset at the same time.
Roll on Friday...then I'll be testing it XC style at the weekend.;)

I got these forks as being only 12stone 10lbs I'm 14lbs lighter than I used to be and so I think this fork will be more than robust enough for my ample 5'9" frame.
If I'd been much heavier I think I'd have gone for a REBA fork.
Plus I like V-brakes...so the SID was a good choice.

Peyote

Twang!

They really are silly lightweight forks. Ideal for XC racing you little whippet you!

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Tell me about it....the 'Race' model which I have are so light it's unreal....I almost expect them not to work...lol
Best stop stuffing my face with cakes and gaining precious pounds like I have been of late.....;)

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Will do mate. I've heard that they best suit lighter XC riders...e.g 14 stone and under. But I'm sure there are more heaviers riders that are using them ok.
Now I've got my new cassette onto my off-road wheels I'll be able to go off road again......yeehaaa.;)

barq

I haven't used Rockshox since, oooh *sucks through teeth* my old Judys a few years back. I hear they've really got back to top form the last year or so and SIDs are a classic race-proven fork.

You've put them on the 6500 listed in your sig? Nice bikes the 6500s.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
'14 and under'

You joking right? They flex so bad for heavy/hard riders. I thought i had a flat tyre last time i rode some sids. Great forks, but you need to be a skinny rider to be able to use them.

Happy riding, just stop eating ;)

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Steve Austin said:
'14 and under'

You joking right? They flex so bad for heavy/hard riders. I thought i had a flat tyre last time i rode some sids. Great forks, but you need to be a skinny rider to be able to use them.

Happy riding, just stop eating ;)

lol....maybe I was a little conservative with my estimate. I'm 12st 9lbs so I should be ok. You've put them on the 6500 listed in your sig? Nice bikes the 6500s. Yep.....will be getting them on the bike tomorrow morning along with a new headset. My bike is the 2005 model. Grey and Orange. Bought it off ebay just a couple of weeks back. They are nice bike indeed.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Oh well. Got the forks and new Aheadset supplied and fitted. £40. bargain...the Aheadset is a BBB parts jobbie with 36 deg bearings....a good one. Got my positive air pressure and negative air pressure sorted....and then sorted the 'Pure Delite' pressure. Going to bung the off road wheels on and go for a spin. ;)

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Well.....my verdict after my first ride. Excellent!
I setup the fork pressures spot on it seems. Got a medium setting on rebound and a good natural sag...ooo er missus....
The ride was positive. The forks allow for excellent climbing.
I tested it on loose stones, compact gravel, sand, dusty tracks with bracnh roots, uneven bumps and wallows etc etc and tarmac. A proper fork.
I reckon this will make cycling on the roads quite good too.....seeing as Imight well be doing commuting to and from work.

barq

Excellent! :biggrin:

Took me a few goes to get my last few pairs of forks (Marzocchi, Fox) perfect so it sounds like you are doing pretty well.

I'll never forget the first time I rode my Fox forks. I took a really bad line on something and assumed I would stack it... suddenly I found myself out the other side and doing ok. ;)

Peyote

I'm glad that you're happy with them Steve. I'm the same as Barq, haven't used Rockshox for years but I was very happy with my Duke XC's before some b*st*rd nicked my bike.

Ah well, I'm more a Marzocchi fan these days having been using Manitou for a few years between.

Enjoy the SIDs!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I bought a set of SIDs four years ago, second hand, my first ever suspension forks. They had just been refurbished by Tim Flooks and I paid £140 for them. Since then they have given me reliable service and I have never touched the air pressure. However the anodising is beginning to wear thin on the stanchions and there is the beginning of some play between stanchions and sliders so I phoned TF, who confimed that they are nearing the end of their life. His recommendation for a replacement? A set of Rebas, which he says are a little stiffer than the SIDs. I must admit that the SIDs are becoming disconcertingly floppy in recent months so I'm looking forward to seeing the difference with the Rebas.

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

I was going for the Reba's....but they are disc brake mounts only....and I don't do disc brakes...shame as i agree that they are a very nice fork indeed. :ohmy:
I'm hoping with regular maintenance the SID's will last me 4-5 years. That'll please me enough.....I've never owned a bike longer than 3 years.

barq

Peyote said:
I'm the same as Barq, haven't used Rockshox for years but I was very happy with my Duke XC's before some b*st*rd nicked my bike.

Ah well, I'm more a Marzocchi fan these days having been using Manitou for a few years between.

Bad luck about the bike! :ohmy: I did actually acquire some Dukes from a mate (they came off a Specialized Epic) but the steerer was cut so short they were useless to me. Pity because they looked nice (and rode nicely, on the Epic anyway). Never tried Manitou, but I'm a big Marzocchi fan.

Top Bottom