Rod Stewart's Model Railway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Rod Stewarts Model Railway would make a good band name.

They could do a double headliner with Bill Wyman's Metal Detector.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think he got quite a bit of help with it.

Model railway modelling has changed so much with the Advent of DCC (digital command control) where signals are sent to the engine digitally to control lights sounds and motor control. No more lights going out when the engine stops and you can control a miriad of things on the engine like engine fans, whistles or horns (including the choice of about thirty horns), brake squeal, momentum and a ton of other stuff. It is very technical now. You can even control the train from a simulation of the cab using the actual cab controls on your smartphone with the Roco Z21 system, videos on YouTube. I have this system and it's great fun. I model US and European prototypes in HO as the UK OO is inconsistent in scale track/ loco.
Have a look at this switching (shunting) layout.

View: https://youtu.be/n5YPQwDoVVw

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I think he got quite a bit of help with it.

Model railway modelling has changed so much with the Advent of DCC (digital command control) where signals are sent to the engine digitally to control lights sounds and motor control. No more lights going out when the engine stops and you can control a miriad of things on the engine like engine fans, whistles or horns (including the choice of about thirty horns), brake squeal, momentum and a ton of other stuff. It is very technical now. You can even control the train from a simulation of the cab using the actual cab controls on your smartphone with the Roco Z21 system, videos on YouTube. I have this system and it's great fun. I model US and European prototypes in HO as the UK OO is inconsistent in scale track/ loco.
Have a look at this switching (shunting) layout.
he admits that he got help to do the electrics.
but he did the rest. Im sure that deep pockets helps but it still takes skill to paint and dress the scenery.

Pete Waterman is also a keen railway modeller. There are a few others from the music world whose names escape me.
Neil Young
He also owned/part-owned Lionel (the Yank equivilant of Hornby)

Jools Holland
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...eals-100ft-long-model-railway-spent-10-years/

stephec

Legendary Member
Whilst not wishing to be negative as it is a spectacular layout, but for me the city overwhelms the railway, making it too much of a general model landscape.

I'd like to watch the trains going round in a smaller setting, or have more locomotive action similar to somewhere like Pendon.

Top Bottom