Rode my Mountain bike like a single speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GGJ

Veteran
Personally I wouldn't get too hung up on the steel Vs carbon fork debate. Carbon forks have been around for a long time now and seem to be fairly reliable, yes there have been failures, but there have also been plenty steel forks that have failed

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I'm around 16 stone just now, (:cry:) & have 2 bikes with carbon forks - their manufacture have gone through the trial period a long time ago.
Only other thing I know regarding carbon is to make sure not to get it scratched up, that can weaken the structure so I read.
If you go for steel forks, they have to be of good quality, preferably of double or triple butting, or they will make the bike feel 'dead'.

OP
OP
braaivleis2003

braaivleis2003

I bought the Paddy Wagon, and very pleased. Can't believe how light it is considering it's a steel frame and fork. Only one thing though which I'm not pleased about. First day of riding I was hearing a clunk clunk sort of noise coming from bottom bracket area. With the bike being brand be I thought best to take it back to be inspected as didn't want problem to get worse. Anyway they replaced bottom bracket with a Shimano one as the one that was on the bike was an unbranded bottom bracket. Apparently on reviews, users mentioned bottom bracket as being a negative as is was unsealed.

So went out for another cycle today. Exact same noise. Sounds like a train sort of noise. Gu gu gu gung gu gu gu gung on revolutions. Ive even replaced pedals to make sure it's not the pedals. Surely it wont be needing another bottom bracket. Apart from that, Im loving the ride and faster than I thought especially for a single speed. No worrying about gears, it's awesome !!

Attachments

• IMG_20140831_150814_355_1.jpg
    IMG_20140831_150814_355_1.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20140831_150827_392.jpg
    IMG_20140831_150827_392.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_2014-08-31-15-10-26_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-31-15-10-26_1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 49

GGJ

Veteran
Doe
First day of riding I was hearing a clunk clunk sort of noise coming from bottom bracket area.

So went out for another cycle today. Exact same noise. Sounds like a train sort of noise. Gu gu gu gung gu gu gu gung on revolutions.

Sometimes the crank chainring can be slightly off centre and causes the chain to go tight as it goes round, this could be the source of your noise.

OP
OP
braaivleis2003

braaivleis2003

Thanks, I've located the noise. Its actually coming from the rear hub. I turned the bike over and pedalled using hands with firm pressure so I could listen closer. I switched wheel around to fixed side, went for test ride, first time riding fixed and presto No noise at all. Complete silence. So its when pressure is applied on free wheel side.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Take it back again & have the mechanic/owner take it for a trial run to determine what the problem is, do not accept it if it continues to have problems, something is wrong with the bike. If you are not completely satisfied, get your money back, (goods not fit for purpose), & go to a different dealer.

OP
OP
braaivleis2003

braaivleis2003

I gave them a call today to say what the problem was, or where I heard it coming from. I explained that when riding fixed the noise isn't there. They've ordered a 16 tooth freewheel for me. Hopefully that'll be the end of it. I cant complain really as the person/s that Ive been dealing with have been very helpful. If this doesn't cure the problem they said they'll order a new bike in.

Attachments

• IMG_20140901_231719_016.jpg
    IMG_20140901_231719_016.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 48
Top Bottom