rohloff or 11/12 speed cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What ??
A Pinion 18 and a Rohloff ......... :laugh:

When I designed my setup, Pinion drives where new and I had no real data on long term reliability.
So I didn't really look into them.

But I can tell you one downside of them is that the weight is in front of the front wheels on a tadpole trike.
This will reduce the weight and hence the traction on the back wheel.
How much this will affect a tadpole trike I don't know.
As thats the limiting factor when hill climbing, once the back wheel starts to slip badly then you get off and push.

But a Pinion drive would work well in a delta trike for keeping the front wheel down and hence steering on steep hills.

Luck ........ :biggrin:

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
It may not be exactly 26 teeth but it's very close to that.

The depth of the front cage limits the maximum difference between chainrings.
Put the chain on the big chainring and measure the gap in mm between the chain and the bottom of the cage.
Divide by 2 and that's the maximum number of teeth possible between the big chainring and small.
Exceed that number and the chain starts to rub on the bottom of the cage when you drop onto the small chainring.

If you've seen any posts on running quad chainrings then that was only possible by combining two cages to make one extra deep one.
Basically you cut the bottom off one cage and the other cage just behind the pivot points, now solder the two parts together to make an extra long/deep cage.
The "mountain tamer quad" adapter then lets you use a sprocket as a fourth chainring for something like 53-39-30-18.
This was from the days when 32 was a big sprocket.

Luck ......... ^_^
Thanks, I always wondered how they came up with the Max difference between chainrings.
I must admit that I never gave it much thought But it makes sense the way you put it.

Or to put that another way, you have to choose between Rohloff reliability or having the inconvenience and time consuming activities of ordering and fitting replacement components at regular intervals, during some of that time your bike will be out of service.
How long does it take you to change a cassette?
I fear you may be doing something wrong.

snorri

Legendary Member
How long does it take you to change a cassette?
I fear you may be doing something wrong.
A lot longer than it takes me to do the annual oil change on a Rohloff, and I can programme oil changes to a winter month to suit my convenience rather than when it becomes necessary due to wear and tear of chain or sprockets.
On the contrary, I know I am doing something right!

My take on the main difference between a derailleur and a IHG setup is just the gear shift.
The derailleur setup is shifted under load and hub gears aren't.
This means that you keep more momentum uphill more with derailleurs.
While the ability to shift at stand still is the hub gear advantage.

YMMV ........... :biggrin:

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
A lot longer than it takes me to do the annual oil change on a Rohloff, and I can programme oil changes to a winter month to suit my convenience rather than when it becomes necessary due to wear and tear of chain or sprockets.
On the contrary, I know I am doing something right!

I don't know about you but I can change a rear cassette in under 10 minutes.
Doing an oil change on a Rohloff takes around an hour to do it properly.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don't know about you but I can change a rear cassette in under 10 minutes.
Doing an oil change on a Rohloff takes around an hour to do it properly.

An hour, you are defo doing it wrong. The ride with the cleaning solution only needs to be 2-3 mins before you extract the cleaning mixture then add the new oil. It really doesn't need to take an hour. No need to remove and refit a wheel either as you would when fitting a new cassette.

Or to put that another way, you have to choose between Rohloff reliability or having the inconvenience and time consuming activities of ordering and fitting replacement components at regular intervals, during some of that time your bike will be out of service.
Except when the hub rim cracks around the spoke holes on a Rohloff it has to go back to Germany for assessment and repair. This happened to us yesterday and we're looking at 8 - 10 weeks before it's returned and the wheel rebuilt. This is a known weakness on the hub, especially for tandems, and the hub, from new, has a retaining ring to prevent the spokes pulling through (check out below and the pics on the SJS cycles site) which is a bit of an afterthought and suggests that they should have re-engineered the hub by now to overcome the admitted weakness, especially for the price. All the good points about static gear-changing and everyday ease of service - undeniably true - until it goes wrong. Toms Bike Trip site puts it well I think: https://tomsbiketrip.com/touring-bike-faq-5-derailleurs-or-internal-hub-gears-rohloff/

Top Bottom