Rohloff Speedhub for an Audax bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigzag

Veteran
I think I'd give serious thought to a Rohloff if I was getting into audaxing mainly around cost and reliability. Expensive as the Rohloff is I'd imagine a serious mile muncher would soon pile up the costs on the consumables like chains, rings, cassettes, etc.

chains, sprockets and chainrings wear out on rohloff'ed bike as well - they are consumables. i clock 6-7000 miles a year between the two bikes. i replace 2-3 chains (3x£10), maybe one chainring (£20) in that time. cassettes are still good, shifting is perfect, and they last few years anyway and cost about £25-45. this doesn't look too expensive to me.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
chains, sprockets and chainrings wear out on rohloff'ed bike as well - they are consumables. i clock 6-7000 miles a year between the two bikes. i replace 2-3 chains (3x£10), maybe one chainring (£20) in that time. cassettes are still good, shifting is perfect, and they last few years anyway and cost about £25-45. this doesn't look too expensive to me.

True, but it will also depend on what level of componentry you use and the maintenance/replace schedule you follow. I've seen numbers bandied around, re a Rohloff, that equates to it paying for itself in anything from 2 to 15 years.

Personally I think you either fancy a Rohloff or you don't

pkeenan

Über Member
I'm also hoping to do the LEL2013, and am also considering my various bike options.

I have a lovely Thorn Nomad, which would be able to do the ride at the drop of a hat - my only thought against it is that it is moderately heavy and slow. My other option is my Specialized Allez.

I know that with some minor modifications, both would be up to the task. I would really like to go with my Rohloff... but I simply think that my Allez would be more than sufficient, with a light rack put on the back, and some more rugged tyres. It'll be nice and light, quick, and with my Brooks taken off my Thorn, it'd be pretty damn comfy.

It's still 2 years away - so no decisions will be made soon! Though it's looking more likely to be my Allez.

[I would really like to do it with my Rohloff, and even considered having my Rohloff built into my Allez specially for the cause! Though I'm sure the price that (combined with the price of building it back into my Thorn) would be pretty expensive, so it's probably just a bad idea!]

Following my tour this summer, I've not done nearly enough riding. So more importantly than working out which bike to ride, I think I should just get training!

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
I'm also hoping to do the LEL2013, and am also considering my various bike options.

I have a lovely Thorn Nomad, which would be able to do the ride at the drop of a hat - my only thought against it is that it is moderately heavy and slow. My other option is my Specialized Allez.

I know that with some minor modifications, both would be up to the task. I would really like to go with my Rohloff... but I simply think that my Allez would be more than sufficient, with a light rack put on the back, and some more rugged tyres. It'll be nice and light, quick, and with my Brooks taken off my Thorn, it'd be pretty damn comfy.

It's still 2 years away - so no decisions will be made soon! Though it's looking more likely to be my Allez.

[I would really like to do it with my Rohloff, and even considered having my Rohloff built into my Allez specially for the cause! Though I'm sure the price that (combined with the price of building it back into my Thorn) would be pretty expensive, so it's probably just a bad idea!]

Following my tour this summer, I've not done nearly enough riding. So more importantly than working out which bike to ride, I think I should just get training!
You should use the Rohloff pkeenan. I was going to get us some T shirts made up - The Rohloff Randonneurs. What size you want?

frank9755

Cyclist
You should use the Rohloff pkeenan. I was going to get us some T shirts made up - The Rohloff Randonneurs. What size you want?

You should get them made up in 14 sizes, none of which fit anyone exactly...
wink.gif

Greenbank

Über Member

Rohloff, like fixed or single-speed, has no shifting (between sprockets or chainrings). This has several benefits:-

* you can use a much bulkier single-speed chain/sprocket/chainring - more resistant to wear - takes longer to wear
* perfect chainline (non-perfect chainline multiplies chain/sprocket/chainring wear)
* everything tends to wear together, and since there's no shifting you can just leave it all on there to wear way past the normal 1/8" 'stretch' per 12".
* not being fixed, a Rohloff can tolerate even more wear in the chain as slop isn't a problem.

In 30,000km I used 3 chains on my fixed, the chainring and sprocket were only slightly worn, they would probably need replacing at 100,000km.

Top Bottom