Rollers or a turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
walker

walker

no one?

Ceedee

I like my rollers, once you get the confidence to let go and relax they are great. I must admit they are quite noisy at high speed but I do use the on a tiled floor.

CarnageAX

I have found my wheels wearing out when using a turbo trainer. After my work out there is a small pile of rubber dust below my wheel and there is a flat on my wheel surface.

Personally I would buy a roller system as they are much more smooth (lower wear rate) and mimic the road sensation closely.

gbb

Legendary Member
CarnageAX said:
I have found my wheels wearing out when using a turbo trainer. After my work out there is a small pile of rubber dust below my wheel and there is a flat on my wheel surface.

Personally I would buy a roller system as they are much more smooth (lower wear rate) and mimic the road sensation closely.

Interesting, because i heard you could make a flat on you tyres....
Didnt happen on mine though.....running on normal tyres (Conti Gatorskins)
Perhaps it particular to certain tyres or turbo combinations

CarnageAX said:

Sounds like youve got slippage, increase the roller pressure (or reduce the resistance) and make sure your tyres are up to pressure and that the tyre is centered on the roller.

CarnageAX

Cheers for the advice, better get set up before it turns cold though.

I have a pretty cheap Minoura Mag500 from wiggle - I find it excellent to train on, but it was outrageously noisy... until I bought a turbo specific tyre. I bought a Tacx one, expensive but brill.

bonj2

mickle said:
Rollers every time.

If you apply the rear brake while riding a turbo/ mag/ fluid trainer the roller keeps spinning and will burn your tyre.

Why would you brake while on a turbo trainer?

gbb

Legendary Member
Not having had rollers, its difficult (nay impossible) to compare...

What are the advantages of rollers ? they mimic the road better...i bow to Mickles knowledge. I dont doubt there are other advantages..

The advantage of a turbo...you dont have to get off to rest, and it certainly mimics my style of riding, where you may freewheel for a while (to take a rest, have a drink, re-arrange my cothing, wipe the sweat from my brow :biggrin:)...without having to dismount.
I assume you cant do any of these easily while on rollers.

I can only assume if the turbo is causing wear, its because its set up incorrectly...i've honestly never had a problem in that respect. Dont even use specific turbo tyres.

I'm not anti rollers BTW....perhaps one day...but i found a turbo brilliant.

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I have a pretty cheap Minoura Mag500 from wiggle - I find it excellent to train on, but it was outrageously noisy... until I bought a turbo specific tyre. I bought a Tacx one, expensive but brill.

A turbo specific tyre?? Wow, I just learned something (quite an acheivement for a know all).

Mortiroloboy

I have a set of TACX sporttrack folding rollers, great fun once you master the art, turbo trainers IMO are excellent for resistance training, but boring to ride, whereas rollers require total concentration (otherwise you fall off:blush:) Rollers will improve your balance and pedal action.

Top Bottom