Rollers or Turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
I dont, i prefer rollers.

In the winter i will mix it in with some training on the watt bikes in the gym and track cycling too if i didnt have either of those options id get a turbo in addition to the rollers

In an ideal world the OP would get both, but if he only gets one, I think he should start with a turbo. He can always add rollers later if he finds indoor training works for him.

@OP - get a really good fan.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
In an ideal world the OP would get both, but if he only gets one, I think he should start with a turbo. He can always add rollers later if he finds indoor training works for him.

This is critical!

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I have had rollers for about 14 months and love them (Elite V Arions) I cannot compare them to a turbo as I haven't used the one I got yesterday yet.

Yes I can see why folk may think rollers are a little boring, but, it is very easy to structure your ride on them. It's a very good way to learn what effect small shifts in body weight have on your riding for example. As of now, rollers would be my choice.

EDIT: Yes a big fan essential ! !

I've never used a fan, nor have those of my children who've got quite into fairly brutal Turbo sessions.

Have plenty of water to hand and drape old towels (bar towels are perfect) over parts of the bike you'll drip on.

You will sweat like a fat man having sex in the Gobi desert, but I've never felt the need for a fan. Open some windows (whatever the weather).

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I've never used a fan, nor have those of my children who've got quite into fairly brutal Turbo sessions.

Have plenty of water to hand and drape old towels (bar towels are perfect) over parts of the bike you'll drip on.

You will sweat like a fat man having sex in the Gobi desert, but I've never felt the need for a fan. Open some windows (whatever the weather).

Then you/they are not optimising your/their training.

Hope you don't mind me asking but how would a decent spin bike (gym quality) compare?

I've used these a lot and even the better ones don't compare well with your own bike on a good Turbo trainer.

A Turbo will take you as close as static training can to a session out on the road. Your body is in the same position, the thing is set up for you (crank length, saddle height, saddle reach, stem, everything).

Even the feel and sound of gearchanges is somehow familiar and reassuring during a Turbo session...

Another benefit of the Turbo: They are super-doop for getting your set-up right.

Another caveat: If you don't have an old wheel with an old tyre on it, just hang onto an old tyre and pop it on your rear wheel if you're expecting a few weeks or months of Turbo-only. Turbo use does odd things to rear tyres. Don't feel the need to fall for the old "You need a spare wheel with a fancy Turbo tyre on it" flannel. These people have a job and have to sell product, but you'll be fine with an old tyre on an old, knackered wheel.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The issue is core temperature not dehydration, without having air blowing over you as you would get outside, your temperature will increase, when your temperature increases, HR will be higher for the same power output, i.e. you will not be working as hard (at cycling) as you may infer from your HR. Further to this, RPE will also be increased, again, you will not be working at the same capacity as you would otherwise assume.

VamP

Banned

^_^

The issue is that it's impossible to achieve the power outputs that you can achieve outdoors if you are overheating. This in turns means that you don't train at the appropriate intensity, even though you feel that you are. All depends on how much you value the time spent on the training and what your goals are.

If you just want to get sweaty then that's fine too.

Tyke

I was also thinking of rollers for the worst of the winter weather but keep hearing people talk about balance problems. How does this compare to balancing a bike on the road?

Top Bottom