Rollers or Turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
VamP said:
The issue is core temperature not dehydration, without having air blowing over you as you would get outside, your temperature will increase, when your temperature increases, HR will be higher for the same power output, i.e. you will not be working as hard (at cycling) as you may infer from your HR. Further to this, RPE will also be increased, again, you will not be working at the same capacity as you would otherwise assume.

The issue is that it's impossible to achieve the power outputs that you can achieve outdoors if you are overheating. This in turns means that you don't train at the appropriate intensity, even though you feel that you are. All depends on how much you value the time spent on the training and what your goals are.

These are interesting responses; thank you.

I imagine (but have no real clue) that the icrements discussed here are marginal. If you could see me in the (plentiful) flesh, you'd realise that I ride to counteract the effect of cake, not to win the TdF. I do the odd TT with modest ambition and equally modest results.

My sons train vigorously, but although one races he really uses cycling to improve his fitness for other sports.

I am interested by what you both say about fans. Am I actually wasting a significant amount of my effort by using a turbo sans fan?

Am I limiting the incremental benefits or gains, or am I still making the same gain but producing lower figures for that session?

I ask in a state of massive ignorance. I note that elite athletes deliberately train in sub-optimal conditions for absolute performance (altitude and similar). Their performance during those altitude camps is greatly compromised, but their performance on their return to sea level is enhanced.

Is the lack of a fan on a Turbo in this territory or are my sons and I really just huffing and puffing for the pleasure of sweating?

I know people who talk a great deal about optimum this and optimised that and energy gels and professional bike fits and carbon cages, but I find that some of them weaken on ascents where even I with my great mass and old-world thinking have little difficulty.

Again, a serious question.

Tyke

Once your up to cadence and practiced its not really a problem but the first few times are interesting ;)
Thanks I have seen vids on you tube and it looks a better way to go for me than a turbo I tried that a few years ago but I don`t want to be super fit just still be able to ride if the snow comes.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I imagine (but have no real clue) that the icrements discussed here are marginal.

No the drop of in power is actually quite a lot in both my own experience and also in the accounts of numerous others, as much as 10%.

Training in extreme temperatures on purpose, will not help you to ride in the UK climate, keeping yourself cool and training at a higher intensity will certainly help you though.

VamP

Banned
These are interesting responses; thank you.

I imagine (but have no real clue) that the icrements discussed here are marginal. If you could see me in the (plentiful) flesh, you'd realise that I ride to counteract the effect of cake, not to win the TdF. I do the odd TT with modest ambition and equally modest results.

My sons train vigorously, but although one races he really uses cycling to improve his fitness for other sports.

I am interested by what you both say about fans. Am I actually wasting a significant amount of my effort by using a turbo sans fan?

Am I limiting the incremental benefits or gains, or am I still making the same gain but producing lower figures for that session?

I ask in a state of massive ignorance. I note that elite athletes deliberately train in sub-optimal conditions for absolute performance (altitude and similar). Their performance during those altitude camps is greatly compromised, but their performance on their return to sea level is enhanced.

Is the lack of a fan on a Turbo in this territory or are my sons and I really just huffing and puffing for the pleasure of sweating?

I know people who talk a great deal about optimum this and optimised that and energy gels and professional bike fits and carbon cages, but I find that some of them weaken on ascents where even I with my great mass and old-world thinking have little difficulty.

Again, a serious question.

The answer is, as always, that it depends.

Individual responses to overheating vary, ergo some will suffer a greater power loss than others.

The other variable is the nature of your training itself, and the desired training effect. As an example, let's say that you want to increase your threshold power, and your primary training method is 2x20 minute interval at 90% of FTP (threshold power), so called sweetspot training. If you can only achieve 80% of FTP due to overheating, then your incremental training effect will be severely compromised. You will in effect just be having a hot tempo ride. Your resistance to overheating will improve a tiny bit, as will your aaerobic endurance, but that's about it.

If on the other hand you want to improve your VO2 max power, by riding 5x5 minutes at 110-120% FTP, but you only hit your FTP due to overheating, then you will have a training effect, but it will be different to that which you intended.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I was also thinking of rollers for the worst of the winter weather but keep hearing people talk about balance problems. How does this compare to balancing a bike on the road?
As has been said, it only takes a little time to crack the technique. One thing my rollers did for me was highlight how much I twitch my hands whilst riding. When on rollers I was forever over correcting myself, it's made a difference when back on the road. I know some who really struggle on rollers because they over correct any sudden movement, which can the lead to more correction followed by more correction followed by eating the floor. If you consciously put the movements in yourself you know when and how much you will be moving. After a while you can move over the whole width of the roller in confidence as you are in control, not the bike.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
How does a fan optimise Turbo training? Serious question.

I personally have no science behind why I use a fan when indoor training, other than it keeps sweat at bay a little longer, meaning it doesn't run into my eyes as soon, meaning I retain the ability to see for a few more minutes :-)

e-rider

crappy member
I don't want to wish away the summer (if that's what you call it) but I'm starting to plan for the winter and I want to keep up my training.

So my question is, rollers or turbo?

Obviously I know the physical differences between the two but which would you prefer and do they make a difference in terms of the training that you can do on them i.e. can you do something on one and not on the other.

Thanks in advance.
The boredom of Turbo trainers is too much for me to cope with, so I prefer rollers. If you just want to keep riding over winter and have no specific training needs then I'd say Rollers would be your best bet - it'll take you 10 minutes to learn how to ride them, and about 2 hours before you completely relax!!! Rollers are also kinder to the bike and easier to set up
Turbos do offer better resistance training and a full-on workout.

Tyke

Thanks e-rider that sounds better than I expected some of the scare stories make it sound like it`s going to take forever. It`s 50+ years since I first got on two wheels and I seem to remember it was a bit wobbly then as well but its been worth it ever since.

Tyke

As has been said, it only takes a little time to crack the technique. One thing my rollers did for me was highlight how much I twitch my hands whilst riding. When on rollers I was forever over correcting myself, it's made a difference when back on the road. I know some who really struggle on rollers because they over correct any sudden movement, which can the lead to more correction followed by more correction followed by eating the floor. If you consciously put the movements in yourself you know when and how much you will be moving. After a while you can move over the whole width of the roller in confidence as you are in control, not the bike.
That sound like something to watch out for at first but I`m warming to the idea of rollers. Thanks for the advice.

Kies

I bought a Turbo in the spring of this year. Safer than rollers, watch MTV whilst doing a 45 minute (max) session on it in the spare room.
It will never beat riding your bike outdoors, but helps me keep my fitness on those cold wet winter nights

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I bought a Turbo in the spring of this year. Safer than rollers, watch MTV whilst doing a 45 minute (max) session on it in the spare room.
It will never beat riding your bike outdoors, but helps me keep my fitness on those cold wet winter nights

Depends in what respect, as a training tool, I might argue otherwise i.e. I think training on a turbo is more effective than training on the road in some circumstances.

Top Bottom