Rolling a trike over.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

starhawk

I can't imagine what it would take to roll over in my Trice Q, admitting I have had one wheel in the air but not very high and definitely not on the way to a flip (going fast downhill and some bumbs in the road).:blush:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I was talking to a very experienced trike rider recently; he told me that in order to ride a trike, you need to forget all that you've learned about riding a normal bike. He said that cornering, in particular, is totally different and that those who pick up riding a trike fastest, are usually those who have never ridden any kind of bike.

OP
OP
byegad

byegad

Legendary Member
I was talking to a very experienced trike rider recently; he told me that in order to ride a trike, you need to forget all that you've learned about riding a normal bike. He said that cornering, in particular, is totally different and that those who pick up riding a trike fastest, are usually those who have never ridden any kind of bike.

That's very true of Upright trikes, but frankly anyone can ride a recumbent trike.

Ian Bristol

Prior to going two wheels I rode an Hp Velo Scorpion for about eight months. I never rolled it but on one accoasion I came close. I was speeding down a very big hill in Cornwall ( there's quite a few of those ) and upon realising I was going way too fast and needed to slow down for a junction I hit the brakes. However I going into a bit of a corner and put on too much left hand brake. There was a big skid and my right hand wheel lifted up quite a bit. I just about managed to stay upright but it certainly got the adrenaline pumping, in a I-won't-do-that-again kind of way.

Rolled the qnt once. Had a bob trailer with a sack of horse feed on board, arrived back at the farm and took my usual line over a 2ft high bank(gate was closed) which i hadn't done before with the trailer, the angle and speed i hit the bank and the weight of the load all led to one result. The left wheel lifted and before i had time to react i was on my side.

OP
OP
byegad

byegad

Legendary Member
Well I witnessed at rather close hand a Newton rider pitch into a hedge while descending a straight downhill. I was catching him fast, I was doing well over 30mph and he was travelling at well under 20mph, and I was working out if I'd need to hang back or be able to pass him when he touched his brakes and one front wheel got onto the gravel into the middle of the road and he was gone! Fortunately he was unhurt, but it was a graphic illustration that I could descend way faster and still a lot safer on a recumbent trike than he could on an upright trike. I even pulled up alongside him under hard braking on the same gravel that had caused him to crash.

Recumbent trikes are so easy to ride maybe some people forget that they still have a limit!

Bill B-J

QNT, mounting a 1" curb at 45 degrees, about 10mph. Rear tyre slid, then gripped, equivalent of a motor cycle high side. Blink of an eye, you would have missed it. Ended up side down, flag, head and hands on pavement. Potentially embarrassing. No damage.
Taken by surprise. Have done the same move many times before, no problem. Different rear tyre this time. Marathons. Hard. Don't like them; let go and regrip digitally, on off. No warning, unlike marathon racers. (Any news on the Shwalbe trike tyres?)
Learned to mount even shallow kerbs at a more acute angle.
I have front suspension. Much harder to lift the inside wheel, since fitting. Sometimes outside slides, rather than inside lifts. (Could be desirable to have a tyre that gently lets go just before the inside lifts!)
3 wheeled recumbent, so good in this weather!

machew

Veteran
Just got back from a Cycle ride and rolled the Trail twice. Only difference this time was that both the front tires were pumped up rock hard. It appears that if the tires are a bit soft then the trike is a bit more forgiving. BTW any one know were I can get a replacement fender set in the UK as both the front ones are broken.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Twice. The first time doing something stupid (trying to cycle up a 45-degree grass bank, which seems to be a common theme), the second just over-cooking a bend. I'd got more and more confidence in fast cornering on the trike and hadn't yet found any limit. That day I did. :-) Cuts, grazes and knowledge of where that limit is to be found ...

Nearly rolled the catrike yesterday

It was a combination of slippery road, tight corner and a fresh pothole

Rolling it with a laden trailer would have been something to remember I suppose...

Top Bottom