Rolling a trike over.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Over on BROL there are threads about how easy it is to roll a trike.

I've seen two people rolling, or nearly rolling a trike, out of the two dozen or so trikers I know this is still a fair %age. But in both cases the rider was doing something stupid.
One tried to ride up a 45 degree slope and lost traction, rolled backwards than rolled over as he couldn't keep it straight in reverse.
The other was trying to ride on two wheels, got it up onto two wheels then overcooked it and the bottom of the ICE rack touched the road and he went into the hedge on his side.
These people know who they are!!!:banghead:

So the question is. How many of you have accidentally rolled over? A brief description of the incident(s) would help me and other readers understand the risks and what to avoid.

e-rider

crappy member
No

Bicycle

As a very young child I was furiously jealous of my older siblings, who were riding bicycles when I still had a tricycle.

We had a big, stone flower pot in the back garden and I went past it repeatedly, thowing my weight into the bend to achieve the lean than my brother and sister managed on two wheels.

Eventually I succeeded in lifting my outside rear wheel, tipped the thing right over and got a nasty bump on my head. I wept.

This incident proved to me that there is no God and that tricycles are not the way forward.

I continue to adhere to both fundamental beliefs. This may be the wrong thread on which to admit to that....

sunnyjim

Umm Yes. Twice. Not including results from the experimental research programmme trike dynamics..

First time I hadn't been triking for very long, & was pootling along a narrow unsurfaced footpath alongside a river. The ground got slowly slope-ier and the trike rolled gently over into long grass on the bank. It struck me later that rolling down a bank towards a river clipped into a trike could go from mild amusement to serious disappointment quite easily.

2nd time was after getting enough experience to judge cornering speed to just keep 3 wheels on the ground. I'd a pair of (small) loaded panniers which put the CoG a bit higher than normal. A sharp muddy corner rolled me over into a tree instantly and unexpectedly. (also surprised a lady cycling along behind). Centrifugal force & trike/rider mass were probably nicely balanced, but the trike skidded sideways on the mud and hit a concealed stone edge, giving a pivot point.

I've rolled my old Trice Q once.

It was before I locked my left hand to the left handle bar with an elastic band.
Leaning hard in a fast left turn while I had the right hand off the bars.
Left hand bounced off the bar and I went from left lock to right lock and lifted the left front wheel.
I got it mostly under control after lifting the front wheel twice under brakes/steering before hitting the opposite curb with the right wheel.
This flipped the trike to the left but because I had managed to get most of the speed off I crawled out from under it unhurt.
I just ended up with a very bent front wheel, I had to take the mudguard off to ride home.

Now the hand is held in place with an elastic band, even if it comes off I can just keep control.

Normally I'm going +25 mph before I lift a wheel and the fastest I know I've lifted a wheel is 37 mph ....... :eek:

MartinG

Rolled once.
I had rented a trike to take on holiday (before I had bought mine) so it was during my first fortnight of tricking. Rolled to a stop on a gently sloping grass bank (in from of a restaurant terrace full of people) stopped leaning into the slope and slowly toppled over - much to everyone's amusement. Biggest problem was unclipping from the pedals because I was laughing so much. :laugh:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've seen Tigerbiten, who rides something akin to a teatray on wheels, coming downhill toward me at some mahoosive speed (I was pointing the way at a road junction) taking a turn at a speed that no two-wheeled bike could managed, leaving a trail of smoking rubber. That he's actually turned the sucker over is truly terrifying.......

OP
OP
byegad

byegad

Legendary Member
Well I've lifted a wheel now and then but silly speeds downhill and corners are plain fun!

plantfit

Guru
Yes, rolled mine this year on one of our trips to the Derbyshire reservoirs, riding along the road at the side of a 5ft high bank leading to the footpath I thought it a good idea to take a pic of my trike with Derwent dam in the background, rode up the bank at a too shallow a angle and over she went, I managed to unclip after laughing at myself but was covered in Lucazade from head to foot as the stuff poured out of my drinks bottle, great fun though

Roger

markg0vbr

Über Member
five times for me:hyper:
the most memorable was pirouetting along the road at the bottom of a hill with a tight turn and lots of greasy oil and muck; i hit a tall curb going backwards at some considerable speed, the back wheel disintegrated and the trike flipped over backwards.
even extreme out rigging, i still lift the odd wheel about 1", you realy have to work hard to do that on a low wide ice-q
though the delta hand bike spits me off terrifyingly quickly, there is just no time to react.

sunnyjim

five times for me:hyper:
the most memorable was pirouetting along the road at the bottom of a hill with a tight turn and lots of greasy oil and muck; i hit a tall curb going backwards at some considerable speed, the back wheel disintegrated and the trike flipped over backwards.
even extreme out rigging, i still lift the odd wheel about 1", you realy have to work hard to do that on a low wide ice-q
though the delta hand bike spits me off terrifyingly quickly, there is just no time to react.

The master. Those of us who merely roll sideways are humbled in your presence.:smile:

Bigsharn

Veteran
My little brother managed to roll my quadricycle when I still had it... Ask either Arch or Night Train and they'll tell you it's a hell of a feat to manage :tongue:

PaulM

Guru
No, never done. I've lifted a wheel a couple of times on fast downhill bends but have controlled it OK. If you put a loaded tail bag on a rear rack then the higher CoG can make it more tipsy.

Top Bottom