Rolling a trike over.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rolling it with a laden trailer would have been something to remember I suppose...

When I rolled mine I had the trailer on, I just snapped the quick release skewer.
So I tend to carry a spare one on tour.

I've also flipped the empty trailer twice.
It was always a combo of speed (+30 mph), hard tyres (~85 psi) and a deep pothole.
Running the tyres at around 40 psi has fixed that problem.

The closest I've come to flipping a full trailer was hitting a speed pillow with 1 wheel at close to 40 mph.
This had the trailer on one wheel for a few yards ....... :whistle:

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I thought I was a fast rider but it's very rare that I even lift a wheel on the Trice 'S'. I did once do a rather pathetic 90° handbrake turn. It was on a trail, and the trike didn't flip, but it did pinch flat my front Durano.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLltDz_xVUU

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have rolled a KMX at SPEZI last year.
We were taking it in turns to do 'handbrake turns'. Mine went a little wrong and I flipped it.
I went all the way over with the trike for the first 180deg, then the trike finished off on its own stopping on its side at 270deg while I stood up next to it.
I landed on my wrist and might have twisted it a bit. It hurt but as I had an audience I ignored it until I was alone.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
First rule of trike-rolling: there's always an audience. Though I doubt anyone has beaten my record audience: must have been a few hundred when I rolled it on the London to Brighton. :shy:

OP
OP
byegad

byegad

Legendary Member
Second rule is that nobody will have a video camera running and the rollee will decline, with feeling, any attempt at a re-shoot.

The ones I've seen had two common factors. One incident resulted in an attempt to climb a 45 degree grass bank, the other from a misguided attempt to ride a Trice Q on one wheel and the rear rack. OK he was trying for two wheels but the rack intervened, this is a little known property of ICE racks.
The factors were:-
1. The rollee was being an idiot.
2. The rollee had taken drink shortly before the incident.

There is a third factor. The witnesses first reaction (Perhaps linked to both items.) is to roll around laughing, spluttering and generally making the rollee as embarrassed as they can, and then make multiple requests for a repeat performance. This occurs long before they enquire about the health or otherwise of the lunatic rollee, or more importantly the rolled trike. In both cases I have seen, which happened within 20 minutes of each other, the audience were also riding trikes and had also taken a small sherry... or three. Well maybe not sherry, unless the pub serves it in pint glasses, and maybe it had been slightly more than three in some cases.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
My first roll did involve a 45-degree grass bank, but no alcohol. People were kind enough to release me from underneath a trike and enquire as to my health before laughing.

My second (and hopefully) final roll involved neither grass bank nor alcohol, merely the inevitable conclusion to my observation that TRICE Qs can apparently corner at any speed without incident.

However, your rule 1 applies in both cases. ^_^

Top Bottom