Rolling resistance question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucers

Guru
I am working at conquering a steep hill near where I live. I have 2 sets of tyres. All other things being equal, which am I better off using for the climb - do ones with a higher rolling resistance gain me any advantage on the hill due to their greater grip or is it no different to being on the flat? No other aspect is of concern, just which are best for the hill climb.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's mainly about the engine. Rolling resistance will be minimal unless of course you are talking a massive difference in tyres ie sticks and knoblies.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I am working at conquering a steep hill near where I live. I have 2 sets of tyres. All other things being equal, which am I better off using for the climb - do ones with a higher rolling resistance gain me any advantage on the hill due to their greater grip or is it no different to being on the flat? No other aspect is of concern, just which are best for the hill climb.
The rolling resistance of tyres is not related to their grip so your question is flawed, I'm afraid. The ones with higher rolling resistance will not necessarily be the ones with better grip. The surface is also very relevant.

CXRAndy

Guru
Smooth narrower tyres are generally better rolling than wide knobbly tyres.
There are some good wide-ish tyres that roll extremely well eg Schwalbe G Ones 38mm.

They now do wider versions as well as narrower smoother tread for even faster performance.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It does make a difference. When I tried Continental GP4000 tyres my speed improved, including hills but they punctured too easily for my liking so took them off and have never tried them again. I prefer a balance between rolling resistance and puncture resistance.

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
Smooth narrower tyres are generally better rolling than wide knobbly tyres.
There are some good wide-ish tyres that roll extremely well eg Schwalbe G Ones 38mm.

They now do wider versions as well as narrower smoother tread for even faster performance.
Got that bit. Was more wondering about on the hill. An extreme example could be walking up hill in flats compared to spikes. Does, say, the knobbly tyre hold you better on the incline whereas, a smooth would seem to have more capacity to want to slide backwards?

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
It does make a difference. When I tried Continental GP4000 tyres my speed improved, including hills but they punctured too easily for my liking so took them off and have never tried them again. I prefer a balance between rolling resistance and puncture resistance.
Thanks for that. Speed is not an issue, although getting up quicker helps of course. I just want to get to the top!

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
Go to this website and find the two tyres you have

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

The one with lower rolling resistance will be better for your hill climbing. Grip is of no practical issue unless it's wet and really steep

Depending on which tyres it's quite easy to have, say, 10 watts difference in resistance between pairs of tyres which is quite a lot
Thank for that. I know there is a noticable difference in my 2 pairs. That is what lead me to my wondering.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you're in France on super-smooth hot-rolled tarmac a narrow tyre will be great.

If you're in Britain on knackered worn-out top dressing and potholes a nice soft fat tyre will smooth out the power-sapping bumps.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Grip is irrelevant unless you're spinning the rear wheel, very unlikely unless wet or gravelly.

Are we talking on or off road here?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Unless you're getting wheelspin, grip is irrelevant. Rolling resistance tends to rise linearly with speed so is minor when climbing. What you should choose is the lightest pair of tyres.

Top Bottom