Rolling resistance question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Shouldn't the newest one go at the rear, as rear tyres wear quicker?
Front wheel blowout would be nastier than rear. At least I guess it would be. I've had rear wheel blowouts, but never a front one so I'm speculating.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Front wheel blowout would be nastier than rear. At least I guess it would be. I've had rear wheel blowouts, but never a front one so I'm speculating.
I didn't suffer a front wheel blowout so much as a very quick deflation... I was being chased by a double decker bus down the Keighley Road towards Hebden Bridge when the front of the bike started wobbling. I braked and managed to stop just as the tyre peeled off the rim. :eek:

I turned round to see an ashen-faced bus driver looking into my eyes from a couple of metres away! :laugh:

I would definitely rather have a rear tyre problem than a front one...

C R

Guru
My reasoning was that if you have two reasonably sound tyres the one in the back will wear quicker. I have heard of people moving a partly worn tyre from the rear to the front and putting a new tyre on the rear, but don't know if there's any benefit to that.

C R

Guru
I didn't suffer a front wheel blowout so much as a very quick deflation... I was being chased by a double decker bus down the Keighley Road towards Hebden Bridge when the front of the bike started wobbling. I braked and managed to stop just as the tyre peeled off the rim. :eek:

I turned round to see an ashen-faced bus driver looking into my eyes from a couple of metres away! :laugh:

I would definitely rather have a rear tyre problem than a front one...
I would rather not have a double decker behind me in either case :blink::eek:.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Personally I'd have the wider or tougher tyre on the rear.

It's what I do on the shoot weather commuter. Marathon + on the back, something else on the front (I don't care what, think it's a Spesh Nimbus currently)

C R

Guru
Is it important to you that both your front and rear tyres arrive at a state of worn outness at the same time? I put the newer tyre on the front because (as has been mentioned above) a rear tyre failure is likely to be less catastrophic than a front tyre failure.
I don't particularly aim for any kind of matching, just replace as needed.

D

Deleted member 1258

My reasoning was that if you have two reasonably sound tyres the one in the back will wear quicker. I have heard of people moving a partly worn tyre from the rear to the front and putting a new tyre on the rear, but don't know if there's any benefit to that.

I've always done it the other way round, the new tyre goes on the front the old front tyre goes on the back the old back tyre gets ditched. I always found that a tyre that had been on the front for 12 months would last another 12 months on the back.

, the new tyre goes on the front the old front tyre goes on the back
2 advatanges to this:
- the tyre with the steering responsibilty* will be in good nick
- back tyres get that "squaring off" effect which I think makes them a bit rubbish if swapped onto the front.

*(and also less likely to blow-out, with issues already mentioned several times

Against: rear punctures are a pain, and probably more likely in general, so you might want more rubber left on that tyre as added prevention.

You can't win! :P

Top Bottom