Rolling resistance - Schwalbe Marathon Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lot's of Schwalbe tires are directional (is that even a term? ^_^).
Check you have them on the right way - it makes a massive difference to speed & comfort!

Just something I read... Not from personal experience, honest! :whistle:
It makes absolute zero difference

Ajax Bay

Guru
Lot's of Schwalbe tires are directional (is that even a term? ^_^).
Check you have them on the right way - it makes a massive difference to speed & comfort!
Just something I read... Not from personal experience, honest! :whistle:
Naughty, naughty! But you managed to get Ian to 'bite'. Does the Hobbes' 'road' bikes do the "more dynamic" look?
"Why are so many treads direction dependant (sic)?
"In the case of a road tire the rolling direction is mainly important for aesthetic considerations. Tires marked with arrows simply look more dynamic."
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/profil.html

It makes absolute zero difference

Naughty, naughty! But you managed to get Ian to 'bite'. Does the Hobbes' 'road' bikes do the "more dynamic" look?
"Why are so many treads direction dependant (sic)?
"In the case of a road tire the rolling direction is mainly important for aesthetic considerations. Tires marked with arrows simply look more dynamic."
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/profil.html

I wasn't trolling. The OP asked about Marathon plus tyres. My Marathon plus tyres have a direction on them (in black on the tyre itself, so hardly for aesthetics) and I have learned from bitter experience that it does make a difference if you fit them backwards.
(It also says it on the pages you linked to?)

I use them on 2 old MTBs, one used for touring & one for commuting. My tyres are big, currently running 2 inch ones on the tourer. I know nothing about "road" tyres and care less.

So, OP, check the directional arrows on your tires. It may make a difference.

I wasn't trolling. The OP asked about Marathon plus tyres. My Marathon plus tyres have a direction on them (in black on the tyre itself, so hardly for aesthetics) and I have learned from bitter experience that it does make a difference if you fit them backwards.
(It also says it on the pages you linked to?)

I use them on 2 old MTBs, one used for touring & one for commuting. My tyres are big, currently running 2 inch ones on the tourer. I know nothing about "road" tyres and care less.

So, OP, check the directional arrows on your tires. It may make a difference.

Interesting. Please share this bitter experience with us.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
M+ great protection but lethal in the wet in my experience. However that is probably because I had them pumped to the max so they roll better............

M+ great protection but lethal in the wet in my experience. However that is probably because I had them pumped to the max so they roll better............

Your assumption of the cause of your slip is invalid. A tyre pumped to the max or left soft, has exactly the same grip on the same surface.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hope you like fixing punctures at this time of the year with those :tongue:
Are they a bag of crap ? I wanrted some Conti Four Seasons but I dont have the wonga

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Your assumption of the cause of your slip is invalid. A tyre pumped to the max or left soft, has exactly the same grip on the same surface.

Nope they are definitely squirmy in the wet and so are the Vittoria Voyagers I bought last year, they were even worse. Current Conti 4 Seasons however are much better.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Are they a bag of crap ? I wanrted some Conti Four Seasons but I dont have the wonga

They are fine for summer use in my opinion, but not great for puncture resistance. I run Conti 4 seasons they are have been great on the CX winter bike. I run Mich Pro Endurance 4 on the road bike, those are good as well ! Fast rolling and robust.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Your assertion is correct for contact with flat surfaces. However I think the issue is with bumpy surfaces. With these, a tyre pumped to the max is more inclined to leave contact with the road, at which point your grip is zero

Nope they are definitely squirmy in the wet and so are the Vittoria Voyagers I bought last year, they were even worse. Current Conti 4 Seasons however are much better.

No. You said they were more slippery when pumped hard. Your comparison should be within one tyre, but over two conditions. Don't introduce another tyre or another phrase. What does squirmy mean?

Your assertion is correct for contact with flat surfaces. However I think the issue is with bumpy surfaces. With these, a tyre pumped to the max is more inclined to leave contact with the road, at which point your grip is zero
There was no mention of irregular surfaces crossed at speeds where bounce is introduced. Hence, leave it out. The statement was simple: the tyres were more slippery because they were pumped too hard.

Is this statement based on your experience, or is it a technically proven fact?

My gut reaction (without the scientific knowledge to back it up) is that the rubber on a tyre pumped up high would have a softer feel than a lower pressure one and possibly have a lower rolling resistance. Or is grip nothing to do with rolling resistance? I'm happy to learn from experts.

Top Bottom