Rollover lottery money to Philippines aid relief?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
UK lottery money goes to UK causes only: http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/goodcausesandwinners/wherethemoneygoes.ftl

and as far as I can see, Euromillions lottery money goes to the country in which it's operating, ie from tickets sold in the UK, the cut goes to UK causes.

So them's the rules....

snorri

Legendary Member
Its not throwing lottery money though is it, if Camelot want to spend the lottery fund on the Phillipines, fine. But this dozy bint is proposing that they send the prize fund!!
Maybe you're right, I just signed to be cantankerous and register a hit against what I see as a scheme to rob the poor by raising false hopes.:smile:

colly

Re member eR
I didn't sign it. Not because it wouldn't be money well spent in a good cause, but as has already been said, Camelot are bound by the rules of the game. It isn't their money to give away.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I think it's an excellent idea. Sod the law. Yes whoever wins might donate and might not. The lottery is basically a greed fuelled tax so it would be good to turn that on its head and just give it away. It's only money after all.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Its not throwing lottery money though is it, if Camelot want to spend the lottery fund on the Phillipines, fine. But this dozy bint is proposing that they send the prize fund!!
So what?

snorri

Legendary Member
It looks as if some good has come of this for the Phillipines, if not for the lottery ticket buyers.
On Tuesday I launched a campaign asking for the rolled-over £12 million prize from the EuroMillions to be donated to the Philippines relief effort. In just days the petition grew to over 150,000 signatures.
On Friday the jackpot was won but then yesterday something amazing happened. The Big Lottery Fund announced it would make a donation of £5 million to help the people of the Philippines to rebuild their lives!
They released this statement:
"The Big Lottery Fund cannot make general donations to emergency appeals. Nor does it believe its funds are best used for immediate disaster relief.
"Instead, it will make up to £5 million available to UK based charities, working with communities in the Philippines, to help the long term process of rebuilding lives and livelihoods. "

This is fantastic news for the people of the Philippines, I am so pleased that the Big Lottery Fund has responded to this massive need with compassion and tangible action for those that desperately need our help.
End quote

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It looks as if some good has come of this for the Phillipines, if not for the lottery ticket buyers.
On Tuesday I launched a campaign asking for the rolled-over £12 million prize from the EuroMillions to be donated to the Philippines relief effort. In just days the petition grew to over 150,000 signatures.
On Friday the jackpot was won but then yesterday something amazing happened. The Big Lottery Fund announced it would make a donation of £5 million to help the people of the Philippines to rebuild their lives!
They released this statement:
"The Big Lottery Fund cannot make general donations to emergency appeals. Nor does it believe its funds are best used for immediate disaster relief.
"Instead, it will make up to £5 million available to UK based charities, working with communities in the Philippines, to help the long term process of rebuilding lives and livelihoods. "

This is fantastic news for the people of the Philippines, I am so pleased that the Big Lottery Fund has responded to this massive need with compassion and tangible action for those that desperately need our help.
End quote
Aha, I just came on here to post exactly the same cut and pasted extract!;)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If someone suggested Lottery fund money was used to build concrete hurricane/flood shelters in all countries at risk I cant see the idea being so popular. Far more effective use of the cash but not so popular I suspect.

Top Bottom