Roof Bars or Boot Liner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Evening everyone.

About to change my Golf Estate for a Volvo V40 Cross Country. Currently I put my bike (removing the front wheel) in the boot of the car when I’m off to meet friends for a ride - usually 2-4 times a month. I’ve been using an old duvet cover to cover the load area but it doesn’t protect the sides of the boot area from mud / rubbing. I’ve been looking at 2 options for the new car:

Firstly, roof bars and bike holders. For the extra few quid I may as well get 2 bike holders in case a mate wants to come along with me. The new car has roof rails. I quite like the idea as it means that the dirty smelly bike is nowhere near the interior and I can use the boot for spare clothes, food, helmet etc. One downside I can see is the height restriction when going into car parks but from memory most of the places I park aren’t height restricted... or maybe I just haven’t noticed. I know there will be an effect on fuel economy, but is it much? Also the faff of fitting and removing the rack - do you leave yours on all the time or is it a simple quick one-man-job thing to fit and remove? Do they hold the bikes securely? Do the clamps leave marks on the car’s roof rails?

Secondly, I’ve been looking at a tailor made boot liner that goes all the way to the front seats (rear seats folded) and has raised sides all the way around the load area (and a fold out bumper flap) to protect the interior. Still got to fold the seats and fit the liner for each trip and of course the smelly bike is still within smelling distance driving home. Also restricted to one bike really - the Volvo boot it quite small and with the bike in the boot there’s not much room for suitcases and stuff if we go away on holiday. But I like the security factor and absence of height issues.

Cost isn’t really the issue - load liner is about £120 and the roof bars/bike holders £180. I can also use the bars for other things like flat pack furniture etc, but I can also use the load liner for things like trips to the tip. What’s everyone using and what are your thoughts / advice? (I cant justify both by the way... lol!)

Edit: Rear mounted rack not available for the Volvo and tow bar/rack is too costly.

Cheers

Justin

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Why not just put the bike in the duvet cover like it is a bag - that way no mess.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Currently if I have to drive with my bike, I put it into the back of my Golf. It fits with front wheel on and the back seats down. When Mrs B and child 1 used to ride with me, I put the three bikes on a roof rack. It caned the fuel consumption though.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've used both a rack and put the bike in the car. I'd go for in the car myself, it is more secure from unwanted interest and racks are a faff to keep removing and fitting.

Why not get one of those pump up pressure spray bottles to hose the crap off the bike before you put it in the car?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Your bike smells?? My kit is usually the problem!!

I have a plastic backed car rug which is folded so the material side is uppermost across the boot floor. When I want to transport my bike I drop the seats unfold the rug which now has plastic side up. Then chuck an old lightweight curtain over the bike.

Roof bars are a PIA. Hard to fit, difficult to lift bike on roof, probably need steps to put bikes on, easy to scratch car, rubbish fuel consumption, etc. I wouldn't go near them.

OP
OP
Justinitus

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Why not get one of those pump up pressure spray bottles to hose the crap off the bike before you put it in the car?

I don’t usually ride in the wet and not serious off road either - just woods, canal paths and tracks really. The bike is never as filthy as some I see it’s more that I seem to pick up sheep/dog/cow poop despite best efforts to avoid it! Another good idea I’d never thought of - it might come in useful. Cheers!

screenman

Legendary Member
Bike bag and wheel bags.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Roof bars, every time.

Once you've fitted / removed them a couple of times it's at most a ten minute job to fit the bike carrier and then the bike which can be done single handed (although it's easier with two of you). I bought a cheap folding step from Home Bargains to make it a bit easier - cost about a fiver.

I usually take the bike carriers off, but leave the rest on.

Impact on fuel economy is minimal - on the motorway with a bike on it makes 3-5mpg difference (1.6HDI, usually does about 80mpg at 60mph) so genuinely not worth worrying about. Any speed under 40mph the difference in mpg is negligible.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I had a Golf estate but now have a Leon estate. I have roof bars and bike racks but rarely use them as it's a faff to fit them for short trips and they hammer the fuel consumption on longer trips.

For longest trips, eg holidays, I remove the seat post, wheels and pedals and put the dismantled bike in a roofbox. No security concerns when parked en route and only reduces fuel consumption by 5 mpg compared with 15+ mpg with bikes on the roof.
Also I don't like my best bike on the roof as it's carbon fibre and will melt if it rains.

clockworksimon

Über Member
I use roof bars and Elite San Remo carriers. These consist of separate fittings on each bar. Allows for quick attachment and removal of roof bars as the bars are not connected together. Carrier requires removal of front wheel. Depending on loading of the car, I sometimes put the wheel in the car and other times strap it to the side of the bike on the roof using toe clip straps or similar. No need to buy the separate front wheel fitting. The carriers are stocked at Wiggle and are a lot less expensive than Thule bike attachments. Provide a solid attachment and leaves more space on roof bars for other things such as more bikes, kayaks, roof box etc
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-san-r...MI_-OFw8XI3gIVFPhRCh2NWAN6EAQYAiABEgKGtfD_BwE

I'm a roof bar fan. Never really had a car that bikes would fit inside.
The bars are on the car semi permanently and bike carriers a doddle to put on and remove. They lock the bike and they lock to the bars.
I've not come across any height restrictions but suppose it could happen.

Also instead of blowing a fortune there's bar bits and carriers on ebay. You just need the part codes.
I'm using the bars that I bought for the Astra Coupe, that also fit the BMW, and now the Suzuki Swift. All I did was change the feet.

Top Bottom