Roof Bars or Boot Liner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's no contest, inside is best by a country mile.

On the roof the bike can get stolen, can get damaged, gets rain driven into the bearings, gets soaked in salt water, worsens your fuel consumption.

Inside the car the bike is secure, away from damage, stays dry, stays away from salt, has no effect on fuel consumption.

Quite a lot of people haven't understood this and you see them driving around in otherwise empty cars (even vans!) with a bike displayed like a trophy on the roof or boot. Madness. We regularly transport 2 bikes + 2 adults inside the Passat estate and sometimes 3+3 and have even had 4+4 when two were kids.

Venod

Eh up
I have had roof bars and a tow bar mounted carrier, and sold both, inside the car wins for me, a boot liner sounds good, I use a large tarpaulin from B & Q it tucks under the front seat headrests, it has eyelets along the edges that I use plastic bands through, these hook on doors/ boot hooks, the inside in completely covered, I get the 29" MTB in without removing the wheels, Nissan Quasqui.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Height barriers can be pain. In Oban once saw a car with 2 bikes on the roof turn into the Lochavuillin car park. Result was a mangled mess behind the car as there is a 6ft height barrier at this entrance. Easy to forget about the extra height. I have a Peugeot Partner which takes complete bikes inside after removing one or two rear seats which is an easy job with a couple of catches to undo on this car.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've got a Passat estate. The road bikes go straight in the back, mountain bikes go on the roof. I leave the Thule bike carrier on the roof the whole time now, I used to take it off after use but found it made very little difference to mpg.

I've got a towel and a Bosch Fontus portable washer that I charge up and fill with water if I'm going anywhere dirty. That way I can rinse and dry the bike before I load it whether it's going in the back or up on top :okay:

OP
OP
Justinitus

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Thanks for all your ideas and opinions everyone! I collected the car yesterday and it’s going to have to be roof bars I think. I’ve got the spare wheel and raised boot floor options so the boot is quite small but it’s the opening width that’s the issue. My Diverge slides in (just about) with the front wheel removed but my Toughroad 29er (which I use the most) has no chance without removing both wheels and fitting a chain keeper - I don’t really want the faff. Dropping the saddle didn’t help either.

I was considering Thule bars but someone recommended Atera so I’m going to look and order in the next day or so.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I can recommend the Thule aero bars. Mine make no noise at any speed unless it's raining, in which case they whistle slightly over about 40mph. I guess the water affects the aerofoil shape.

D

Deleted member 26715

Before jumping in on the roof bars, just try lifting your bike above your head near your brand new shiny car, then wave it around a bit over the roof & see if you fancy doing this each time you want to load it. As you have a 4x4 you of course will automatically be fitting a towbar to pull those trailers across the fields so don't get roof bars, don't put it inthe boot, buy a towbar mounted cycle carrier.

400bhp

Guru
There's no contest, inside is best by a country mile.

On the roof the bike can get stolen, can get damaged, gets rain driven into the bearings, gets soaked in salt water, worsens your fuel consumption.

Inside the car the bike is secure, away from damage, stays dry, stays away from salt, has no effect on fuel consumption.

Quite a lot of people haven't understood this and you see them driving around in otherwise empty cars (even vans!) with a bike displayed like a trophy on the roof or boot. Madness. We regularly transport 2 bikes + 2 adults inside the Passat estate and sometimes 3+3 and have even had 4+4 when two were kids.
Completely agree.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Inside the car is my favourite option or on a thule towbar mounted carrier. I used to use a roof mounted carrier but this is a last resort for me even a lightweight bike gets heavier and more awkward to handle wen your tired.Bike gets lashed by the weather and fuel consumption goes up considerably wit bikes on the roof.

Top Bottom