Roof bike carriers if the is the right forum :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Just to complete this in case anyone else needs this knowledge.
By installing the tow bar with the correct VW wiring (expensive option) when the car is put into reverse it will switch off the rear Park Assist. You cannot avoid this otherwise the Park Assist sees the tow bar mounted bike rack as an obstacle and applies emergency braking !

Gunk

Guru
Here is a photo of my set up mounted on my Wife’s Mini clubman using Mini roof bars. The carriers are a pair of BMW branded Thule Outride 561 fork mounted carriers. The benefit is that the fork is locked to the carrier. The wheels are carried separately with a pair of Thule 541 wheel carriers. The only issue is that the front discs can foul the carrier so I use horseshoe washers as spacers.

I’ve used this set up for years and it’s transported a pair of bikes through France, Belgium and Holland at motorway speed with no issues. The bikes are definitely more secure using the fork mounting and nothing is in contact with the carbon frame.

298EDAEB-634D-4241-BD02-30C32DD553B7.jpeg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Here is a photo of my set up mounted on my Wife’s Mini clubman using Mini roof bars. The carriers are a pair of BMW branded Thule Outride 561 fork mounted carriers. The benefit is that the fork is locked to the carrier. The wheels are carried separately with a pair of Thule 541 wheel carriers. The only issue is that the front discs can foul the carrier so I use horseshoe washers as spacers.

I’ve used this set up for years and it’s transported a pair of bikes through France, Belgium and Holland at motorway speed with no issues. The bikes are definitely more secure using the fork mounting and nothing is in contact with the carbon frame.

View attachment 604426
Completely agree about the Thule 561 brilliant bit of kit . I have just fitted roof bars to my new Mazda 3 and the only glitch is with the front of the 561 not being movable I can't fully open the hatchback on the car with it fitted as the roof mounting are in a fixed position

Gunk

Guru
Pay the extra and get a quality rack, I finally bought a Thule after a couple of "deals".

I picked up my pair of carriers off eBay for £35, the keys were missing. I managed to get some keys cut for about £15 using the codes on the locks. The genuine Mini roofbars were £50 locally off Gumtree. And the wheel carriers were £30 for the pair again off eBay So I ended up with a complete set up for about £130

Top Bottom