Roof bike carriers if the is the right forum :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amac

Hi guys,
Just looking at buying a couple of roof bike carriers, at the moment we both have hybrids, so I was going to get the sort that clamps to the frame with both wheels attached.
Once all this has settled down, I am going to treat myself to a road bike.
My question is, is that sort of carrier suitable for road bikes as well?
cheers alex

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Yes is the answer. Thule are excellent and worth paying extra for IME.

I've always used THESE Thule ProRide carriers. They are well made, they work very well and spares are available too.

It soon adds up once you get all the bits and bobs though :smile:

It certainly does. I've never understood why roof mounted hardware is so damned expensive!

If you're not in a hurry for them keep an eye on places like ebay and Facebook buy/sell pages. There's usually plenty of used ones available anyway, and seeing as no-one can go anywhere at the moment, and tidying out sheds and garages seems to have become a new sport, there may even be more than usual available.

If you want new then HALFORDS are offering buy one get one half price ATM :okay:

D

Deleted member 26715

Personally I don't like roof bar racks, I don't like lifting the bikes above my head then fighting with them as they sway about whilst I endevour to try to fasten them on, I much prefer towbar mounted, even if it means fitting a towbar.

13 rider

Guru
I wouldn't clamp a carbon frame on the downtube I use a thule rack were you remove the front wheel for my Carbon road bike . Steel not aluminium frames will be fine clamped on the downtube

OP
OP
A

Amac

Personally I don't like roof bar racks, I don't like lifting the bikes above my head then fighting with them as they sway about whilst I endevour to try to fasten them on, I much prefer towbar mounted, even if it means fitting a towbar.
I know what you mean, I am a bit of a shorty, but I do not have a toe bar, thanks

OP
OP
A

Amac

I wouldn't clamp a carbon frame on the downtube I use a thule rack were you remove the front wheel for my Carbon road bike . Steel not aluminium frames will be fine clamped on the downtube
I cant afford a carbon frame bike and a roof carrier ha ha, thanks for the advice thou.

D

Deleted member 26715

I know what you mean, I am a bit of a shorty, but I do not have a toe bar, thanks
A collapsable stool/step (not whilst you're one it :laugh:) might be an option but I'd still rather not use them

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And also, the risk of forgetting the bikes are up there and doing this... :whistle:

:laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Thats operator error, not a fault with the mounting system. Any driver with such poor memory and awareness shouldn't be on the road in the first place.

This one looks like a VW driver, so they probably were thinking they'd be late for the invasion of Poland.

steverob

Guru
Seen that happen EVERY year I've been to the Tour of Cambridgeshire.

The Marriott hotel directly opposite the Peterborough Arena (where the ride starts) has a height barrier to their car park. Usually people seem to notice it fine going in to the car park and take the bike off first, but on the way back home (possibly with their brains addled after the 100 mile ride?), at least one person forgets and puts the bike back on the roof too early and ends up hitting it with a now ruined bike, possibly also damage to the car and a tailback of other drivers stuck behind them as they're now blocking the only way in or out!

Top Bottom