Selecting the right derailleur hanger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristolian

Hello folks,

This is probably a simple question but when looking for a replacement/spare hanger what information do you need?

Is it just the make, model and year of the frame or what else has an input to getting the right one?

Thanks in advance :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's a pretty tedious job. You'll need the above and then it's just a case of trawling to through the millions of hangers on a well stocked site to eyeball the correct one. eBay could be useful.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/replacement-dropouts/
Failing that go back to the manufacturer or their agent although you'll probably pay more.

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
We had a wall chart in the office of the bike charity where I work that showed every single hanger known to man (when it was published, of course). There are bloody loads of 'em. More than you can wave a stick at and a lot are VERY similar so even when you see one you think is the right one by the time it turns up it's sadly not a match. All I can say is look VERY carefully (with the emphasis on very) at the pic on the internet and check it, double check it and get a third party to check it before ordering. Good luck. By the way, we have a drawful of hangers that we've taken off old bikes and with a few exceptions they're all different. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a 'standard' hanger, eh?

As above, it can be a bit of a lottery.
Might be worth taking a photo of the old one, and somehow overlaying that with what you think is a good match to say, one on Ebay.
At least you can be confident the shape is in the right ball park, and maybe worth a flutter.
Last time I ordered one it was for a Dawes MTB, and I believe all of that brand use the same hanger. Not that that really helps.
Good luck :okay:

OP
OP
Bristolian

Bristolian

Thanks for the above info - looks like I need to spend some time trawling the t'Interweb :sad:

I see that there are 3D printed ones, cast ones and CNC machined ones - any advice on what to avoid? I would think cast ones would be more brittle/fragile when trying to straighten.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I should avoid any that are not genuine replacement parts.
Hangers are sacrificial and if not made to correct specs could defeat their intended purpose.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hello folks,

This is probably a simple question but when looking for a replacement/spare hanger what information do you need?

Is it just the make, model and year of the frame or what else has an input to getting the right one?

Thanks in advance :okay:

luck, in the main you need luck.

Mike_P

Guru
One of those parts that there should be standard design of.

OP
OP
Bristolian

Bristolian

I think I have found the right one at SJS Cycles - see below.
Thanks for the suggestions/words of caution and encouragement ^_^
Hanger 11.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
There are so many, and lots of very similar ones that are not actually compatible. As @Cycleops suggests, ask your bike manufacturer where to get a replacement. Is saving a few quid worth the risk of having to replace the frame?

OP
OP
Bristolian

Bristolian

There are so many, and lots of very similar ones that are not actually compatible. As @Cycleops suggests, ask your bike manufacturer where to get a replacement. Is saving a few quid worth the risk of having to replace the frame?

Nice idea but have you ever tried getting a response from Specialized? Their customer service email appears to be a black hole :laugh: and hanging on the phone waiting for them to answer costs money when calling from the UK :sad:

Their response may be different if you're asking about buying a £5,000 bike ^_^

Top Bottom