Roofboxes- how do you pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

Got a roof box today - was tempted by the hapro bag set which is a set of 4 bags designed to go in the roof box. Easy to pack and load. But at £100 it seems a lot. At the other end, throw everything in carrier type bags... how do you pack your box?

MntnMan62

Über Member
I have a roof carrier that we bought for our long gone Subaru Outback. We continued to use it on our Acura MDX. We just throw whatever in there, close it up and lock it for the ride. No special bags to put stuff in only to put it in the carrier anyway. I just tried to make sure that what we put up there was most of the lighter stuff. So when we went up to the mountains we packed pillows, breakfast cereals, hot dog and hamburger buns, bread, etc. No science is needed for these things.

figbat

Slippery scientist
We used ours for anything that wasn’t weather sensitive as there was no guarantee of a good seal, especially in a 70 mph rainstorm. This left the boot for the stuff that must stay dry (clothes, bedding etc). So, stuff like camp chairs, tables, kitchenware etc went up top. The tent went in the boot as it was so heavy. I just used the load straps inside the ‘box to keep it all steady.

This all came to an end when I drove into a multi-storey car park with it on the roof. As I drove in I actually thought “I have the roof box on”, followed by “oh, it’s ok, I’ve driven in here before with it on”. This was true, however I had forgotten that the last time I’d had done this I was in a Volvo V50, but this time I was in a somewhat taller Škoda Yeti.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Whatever you do, make sure only lightweight items go up top! You would probably be surprised by the weight limit for roof loads that are stated in the car owners manual, and don't forget this includes the weight of the roof bars and box, so you don't really have much capacity to play with.
OTOH, I'm pretty sure the low limit is often just manufacturers covering their ass against clueless drivers sueing them after tipping their car over. Regardless of your driving skills, low CoG is best so pillows and candyfloss in the roofbox, crates of beer and boxes of wine in the footwells or on the boot floor. Make sure to adjust your tyre pressures to the loaded settings specified in the car manual!

figbat

Slippery scientist
I seem to recall that a typical car roof load limit is 75kg. The Yeti was 100kg but then Top Gear famously landed a helicopter on the roof of a Yeti so, as you say, limits are conservative (and dynamic).

lazybloke

Considering a new username
For me, the beauty of a roofbox is a large flexible space. I throw boogie boards and all the beach stuff in mine when I'm going on a family holiday or a day at the beach.

Closing the lid is sometimes a bit of a challenge.

Oh, and I have scraped throught a low (unsigned) underpass. That was a bit alarming.

byegad

Legendary Member
I used to use one when the four of went camping in France. Weighty stuff in the boot, light, bulky stuff in strong bin bags and in the box. As has been rightly said you can't guarantee weather tight seals at 130kph. Once at the site we'd empty the box and dismount it from the car until 'Le Retour'.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Funny thing we noticed, if we kept the empty box on the car our daughter would suffer travel sickness. No other times, and it happened on two different cars.

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Drago

Legendary Member
Check your cars handbook, as the roof rail on some cars are purely cosmetic and not intended to have roof bars attached and carry a load. Ask any MG5 owner...

DRHysted

Guru
Light stuff (clothes and such) in bin liners, packed in until you can only just get the lid down. The bin liners can then be reused as bin liners or as dirty laundry bags, whilst away.

Stephenite

Membå
Lightweight, bulky stuff in the box. Clothes, etc go in a rucksack, or strong bag like an IKEA bag. The luggage straps in the box then go through the straps of the bags in case the lid pops open.

There’s a good two inch overlap on my roof box and I haven’t had any water ingress driving at normal motorway speeds.

They’re great for transporting 8ft long apple trees!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
We have a Thule. As said upthread, it is surprising how little weight is supposed to be carried, if you follow the car manufacturers recommendations. Mrs B's, with roof rails, is 100kg.
My rule of thumb has always been to try to keep the centre of gravity low. It helps with handling and is a lot kinder on the back and shoulders. So there is a pecking order, depending upon who or what is being carried. Heavier stuff goes; floor wells, spare wheel well, boot, rear seat, roof box. The roof box is easy to pack. You just make sure whatever is in there cannot slide around, either using the internal straps and/or softer stuff. Or if you are short of straps in the carrier, get a couple of self locking straps. My local B & Q had some on sale a couple of years ago for a £1 each. Carrier bags are great as they can be used both for keeping things together, but also when full, for packing around other objects.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Another tip for loading - some people pack a folding step to help them reach into and out of the box, particularly for taller cars and SUVs. I never bothered but used the rear wheel as a step - you're absolutely certain to always have it with you!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
We had a Halfords one bought in 1999 to use with a Citroen BX and subsequently used with a Xantia and then a Berlingo. Each car needed its own species of transverse roof bar at considerable extra cost. Main purpose was for camping holidays in France.

Early experiments with the BX probably overloaded it though the limit was 100kg. The car heeled alarmingly on one occasion where evasive action was required due to my failure to clear my blind spot when overtaking on the Autoroute.

Later experience led us to load it with tent kit, mostly cooking/living space stuff and lightweight alloy camping chairs. Everything weighed so as to keep witihn limits.

On the Berlingo it caused some issues with height and urban car parks but served us well. Last use in 2013 by which time 'plastic fatigue' and sunlight had taken their toll. Like figbat we had some issues with height and couldn't remove the box without needing steps.

Top Bottom