Root Canal Treatment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's not fun, but it's survivable. I found the worst thing was actually how much your jaw aches if it's held wide open for 30mins+. That and drowning in your own spit...

Enjoy!

PS Really, it's not that bad. It's never going to be a popular leisure activity. But compared to, say, having lazer treatment on your eyes, it's a walk in the park...

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
It is not that bad. They will numb you up and drill to expose the root canal then pull out the root and treat the root cavity with some file and brush type things. Endoman does these day in day out if iirc.
My experience having had a couple done is that is no worse than an average filling. It is just a bit of a drawn out process.

endoman

yep, it's all I do, so long as you get a decent dentist it will be fine. Sadly there are Halfords techs in every walk of life.

45 mins is pretty quick , usually add an hour to that for a single visit with me, but I do only get the difficult ones.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You'll be reet.

I had one done recently and it's more boring than anything else. The only painful part can be if the root has refused to die so is still sensitive, but after they've died then it's more of an unusual sensation that someone can be drilling in your mouth and all you can feel is the vibrations.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I remember when I had mine done, the dentist (a very learned chap with an OBE) talked me through the process and showed me the tools he would be using.
The reamer was most interesting especially as one broke in use so he showed me the parts, got a bigger reamer and carried on.

The pain wasn't so bad, but then I have had fillings without anesthetic quite a few times, but the jaw ache was hard work afterwards.

Listening to music on an MP3 player can be quite good, I usually take the opportunity to meditate, relax and go to sleep, much to the annoyance of my dentist!:giggle:

[QUOTE 1752971, member: 9609"]I have a 45 minute appointment in 26 minutes time, - how horrendous is this going to be?[/quote]

About £500 worth of horror. Which is usually totally wasted as the tooth has to come out eventually.

Slim

Über Member
It's not fun, but it's survivable. I found the worst thing was actually how much your jaw aches if it's held wide open for 30mins+. That and drowning in your own spit...

Enjoy!

PS Really, it's not that bad. It's never going to be a popular leisure activity. But compared to, say, having lazer treatment on your eyes, it's a walk in the park...

I've had both -I had a hole in the retina "spot-welded". I'd describe both as being uncomfortable. They certainly weren't what I'd call painful.

User9609 - Hope it all went well.

Night Train

Maker of Things
How come? By choice? Hope you don't mind me asking.
Yes, by choice.
As a kid I needed quite a few fillings and I always ended up with ulcers, bitten lips, cheeks and tongue. As I got into my teens a dentist suggested seeing how I went without and she said that if it was too much I could raise my hand and she would stop for a moment. That worked fine, with brief pauses in the drilling. Eventually I would clear my mind and meditate through the drilling and never needed any further anesthetic. Then I had good teeth for a long time.

As an adult I started needed some further treatment and couldn't find a dentist who would listen to me and work with me. One dentist sat and listened, and nodded, and agreed, and then asked me to lie back and open my mouth. She then immediately jabbed me with the injection!:cursing: I sat up and asked her if she even listened to me before assaulting me with unwanted drugs! She acted stupid and panicky and made all sorts of excuses.:thumbsdown:

Since then I haven't been able to relax as much even with a good dentist and have to have some anesthetic, though not much, even for relatively minor work.

Thought you had trouble sleeping?

I used to fall asleep when getting my tattoo's done.
Yes, I can sleep when I shouldn't, but put me in bed, at night and I am wide awake.:scratch:

Top Bottom