Root Canal Treatment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Phoebus

but then I have had fillings without anesthetic quite a few times,

thrillers-marathon-man_601x256.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I won't go into the mess a local dentist made of a root filling my wife had. Let's say he drilled through the bottom of the tooth, never spotted it, abscess later, then tooth had to come out. £3.5k for an implant to fix the damage, case went legal, got damages, which just about paid for the implant.

subaqua

What’s the point
had 2 done , both due to being kicked in mouth many years ago. not too bad if you get a good dentist. My mother was the nutty one though, severe phobia of needles so she has had teeth removed , filled, root canals etc all without anaesthetic. madness .

i need the gel wipe on my gums before the needle goes in. the ache fromholding gob open is the worst, oh and when you get that horrible hlf numb half feeling tingly sensation

How come? By choice? Hope you don't mind me asking.

I don't have anaesthetic either. My dentist takes a pride in not having to use it and says its not necessary unless you are careless in the drilling etc. In the past with other dentists I found my mouth quite sore afterwards with sore gums and teeth from where they mauled your numb mouth around but you get none of that with him.

I think dentists have the worst bed side manner of any medical people I know, they rarly listen to you and the main extraction they are intersted in is the one from the wallet. I should go but because they insist on tiping me virtually upside down, which in turn gives me the feeling that I am drowning I avoid going.

Maz

Guru
I don't have anaesthetic either. My dentist takes a pride in not having to use it and says its not necessary unless you are careless in the drilling etc. In the past with other dentists I found my mouth quite sore afterwards with sore gums and teeth from where they mauled your numb mouth around but you get none of that with him.
This is a complete revelation for me. I had no idea dental treatment (particularly involving drilling) could be done 'pain-free' without anaesthetic.

tyred

Legendary Member
I had a severe fear of dentists and managed to avoid going for about 20 years. I took severe toothache in the finish up and couldn't avoid it any longer so made an appointment, went there absolutely shitting myself, expecting to be lectured on not having regular checkups, and having God only knows how much repair work to be done.

Instead, I was told my teeth and gums were better than average for someone of my age (surprising considering my sweet tooth and cigarette consumption), I needed one major filling in the tooth that was painful, she said it borderline case for needing root canal work, two minor fillings and buff and polish job. All passed of without any really incident, the fillings were genuinely painless, I didn't even feel the injections and getting my teeth polished was the worst part really, a horrible sensation.

Well, the worst part was actually paying nearly £400 to have all that done. I've since been back for the six monthly checkup and can honestly say I don't mind going. I've no idea what I was so scared off in the first place. My dentist is a really nice lady and much nicer than the dentists I remember from my youth.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I have a morbid fear of dentists after having a sadistic monster as a dentist when I was a kid. I went for many years avoiding them until I ended up with an abcess and a very swollen face, and then had to endure months of treatment to sort me out. My next dentist then neglected & made a mess of my mouth before doing a runner, leading to the new dentist finding a horrific mouthful of poor, botched & shoddy work which left me having to endure months and months of fillings, crowns, bridges and root canal treatment to put things right. You can imagine my joy through two lots of this since I was petrified & having to be very brave! However, the dentists I've had since then at my new practice are great - I felt NOTHING when I was getting work done (a first, since I felt a lot of excruciating pain despite being numbed up by previous dentists). Everyone said Root Canal work was horrific - I felt nothing other than boredom as it took a while!

For the last 8 years I've been making sure I have regular dental appointments and that I never miss them - that keeps the fear at bay as I know that nothing much can have gone wrong (if anything at all) since my last visit!

Top Bottom