Rory O'Brien bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

normgow

Guru
A late reply to Limey.
I certainly remember Jim Walker , I think he was in the Harold hill CC. When I was a junior (1963-4) it was the fashion of the time to wear trade team racing caps in contravention of some archaic BCF rule (no doubt a dinosaur from the NCU), this would infuriate Jim and on one occasion when he was officiating he drove up alongside the bunch to confiscate a Weils/Groene Leeuw cap I had on .
Another commisaire of that period was Reub Smith who nearly always appeared at the races on the Little Waltham circuit organised by the Essex Roads CC and Leyton Camp CC. I believe he was a stalwart of the BLRC but I never knew him well.
Ron Iveson of the Basildon CC did a lot of work in the Essex division organising and officiating at races and was always ready with an encouraging word for those who weren't too successful but that he knew had tried their best.
There was Terry Anderson of the Hainault RC and Becontree Wheelers, Frank O'Flaherty of the Crest CC plus several more whose names don't spring readily to mind. Maybe this afternoon a few more will occur to me.
This is probably as good a place as any to express thanks to all those people who were involved in organising and officiating races, marshals , bike checkers and the many who gave of their time and efforts to provide something for young lads which with hindsight was priceless.
At the time I took it all for granted so if it's not too late - Thankyou all.

normgow

Guru
Have just remembered that Bryan Wiltcher rode as an independent for Rory O'Brien around 1963 or 64. Bryan, riding then for Zeus RC, won the BBAR in 1959 and 1960 breaking comp. record for 50 miles and was one of the first people to push really big gears contradicting the accepted wisdom of the day which encouraged the fast pedalling of moderate ratios, usually fixed wheels. In 1960 he won the Bath Road 100 which at that time was the Blue Riband event of british time trialling. In 1961 he turned independent and rode for Condor-Mackeson.

griffks

Veteran
Rory O'Brien

not too sure of exact age but have recently restored this example from the 1970's, hope it is of interest to the thread

raindog

er.....
Very, very nice.
Do you ride it, or is it just a piece of sculpture?
I've given up on ever using mine - it just hangs on the wall looking pretty. :biggrin:

amazing how this thread just keeps going and going.....

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
raindog said:
;)

Yes, but sadly, Peanut & I were slated for suggesting that we might have a sub-section for older bikes. '**** off' to Retro Bikes was the attitude of many.

So as far as older bikes are concerned, that's just what I've done. Shame though, that this forum couldn't be a little more inclusive.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
griffks said:
not too sure of exact age but have recently restored this example from the 1970's, hope it is of interest to the thread

Very interesting to me, at any rate. To my eyes, it is a most attractive and 'classy' looking bike. I'm extremely envious !

griffks

Veteran
raindog said:
Very, very nice.
Do you ride it, or is it just a piece of sculpture?
I've given up on ever using mine - it just hangs on the wall looking pretty. :sad:

.....had it resprayed a short while ago by Mario Vaz and it's been my everyday commuter for the last few months but I must confess to giving it a bit of a clean before the photo was taken, even the 27"x 1" tyres are original but will change these once I can find a suitable set of replacements meanwhile they're holding up fine

raindog

er.....
pubrunner said:
Yes, but sadly, Peanut & I were slated for suggesting that we might have a sub-section for older bikes. '**** off' to Retro Bikes was the attitude of many.

So as far as older bikes are concerned, that's just what I've done. Shame though, that this forum couldn't be a little more inclusive.
I expect admin had their reasons but it's difficult to see what harm another sub-section would've done. There's alot of snobism and elitism around bikes. Personally I'm interested in any bikes, from old co-op delivery bikes right up to the latest full carbon technology, but maybe I'm just weird. :smile:

What forum do you use for older bikes then? I wouldn't mind having a look.

The Bear

Über Member
griffks said:

Lovely machine that - classic 70s style, and in my opinion when bikes were at their most stylish.

normgow

Guru
A very nice looking bike Griffks and good to know thatyou are still riding it regularly.
My Rory from 1974 was later resprayed and no longer bears the original transfers but here is a picture nevertheless. I never ride it as I'm a bit wary of things breaking, cranks, bars etc. so just wheel it out now and then into the daylight. The tubulars are pretty well finished anyway so I would need to invest in new ones plus I don't have shoes with shoeplates for toeclips.
D:DatenNormanDaddy Bike pictures1974.gif

raindog

er.....
normgow said:
The tubulars are pretty well finished anyway so I would need to invest in new ones plus I don't have shoes with shoeplates for toeclips.
D:%5CDaten%5CNorman%5CDaddy%20Bike%20pictures%5C1974.gif
That's the problem I have with mine. I suppose I could adapt some modern wheels for it, but then I feel it wouldn't be the same bike at all.

BigSteev

pubrunner said:

That's a real shame. I have to say that this is the most interesting thread I've read on CC in quite a while so thanks to all the contributors.

Top Bottom