Rory O'Brien bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
There are some cracking bikes on this site - including a few Rory O'Briens. (I'd love a stable of bikes like this)

http://www.essexroad...YatesBikes.html

http://www.essexroadscyclingclub.com/pages/history/AlanGordinephotos.html

essex roads was my brothers old club

The Bear

Über Member
The bike in the vid shows yet another type of transfer with Rory in script and O'Brien in blocks! Looks like a very nice frame.

Those transfers were the last known type I think - from the 80s - that would be right with that frame and the gear on it. The square type of transfers had a long run through the 60s and 70s, the silly space age ones went from about 1979-82? I didn't like those space age ones - they didn't look right at all.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I am fairly sure that the last Rory's had outline graphics, I can't remember whether the script on the downtube was just R O'B or R O'Brien, I think it was the former. I do remember thinking it looked poor compared to previous types.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I am fairly sure that the last Rory's had outline graphics, I can't remember whether the script on the downtube was just R O'B or R O'Brien, I think it was the former. I do remember thinking it looked poor compared to previous types.

When do you reckon the last Rory's were made ?

Out of interest, were the frames always steel ?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When do you reckon the last Rory's were made ?

Out of interest, were the frames always steel ?
Rory O Brien closed within the last five years and sold frames under their own name up to then. The last time I was in the shop, about ten years ago they had a range of aluminium models on display. I don't know if they ever got into carbon fibre, I had moved away before they became commonplace. I would presume they did as they always kept up to date.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
A more recent (c. 1989) Rory O'Brien built in 531C is being sold by Hilary Stone for £165.

http://hilarystone.com/frameset2.html

Now nearly 15,000 views on this topic !!!

Firestorm

Veteran
Its my Dads 80th Birthday this weekend, I am hoping (if I can get the dongle to work) to show him the pics and this thread whilst i am up there.

I will try and get a load of pics scanned too.

Just out of interest, does the name Crowe ring any bells with the older posters on here ?

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Its my Dads 80th Birthday this weekend, I am hoping (if I can get the dongle to work) to show him the pics and this thread whilst i am up there.

Just out of interest, does the name Crowe ring any bells with the older posters on here ?

How did your Dad's birthday go ? It was also my Mum's 80th that weekend.

Has he seen this thread and can he add anything to it ? If he has seen it, I hope that he finds it interested.

My initial query on Rory O'Brien a couple of years ago, has had so much in the way of personal memories added to it, that it could now be regarded as being the primary source of information on the topic.

Thank you to all those who have responded.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi, I joined this discussion a while back and since then have not added any input.
I now have a few photos you might find of interest, they show the head transfer just after I had removed the top layer of paint. This shows a great piece of Rory history. I say this because I hav`nt seen another.
Also the upright from the saddle had this very faded motive, unsure what was on it.
The only other transfer was a long signiture in red on the downtube, but not readable on the black rusty frame.
I have since aquired a set of decals from lloyds in Wales, as well as a set of block capitals (RORY OBRIEN).
Anyone seen any of these transfers?

Was it anything like the transfer on this (very early) Rory O'Brien - currently for sale on Ebay ?

My link

post-1003-0-44216300-1298664717_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• OBrien.jpg
    OBrien.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 54

normgow

Guru

I don't recall anybody of that name. Are you talking about a member of the Essex Roads? I knew only a couple of them , the Carr brothers , Lee and Bill. Bill spent a lot of time racing in Belgium with a string of good placings to his credit, and this at a time when competion was fierce to put it mildly. Keith Butler was
also riding as an amateur there and after several wins signed a contract with St. Raphael-Geminiani.

Practically all Essex Roaders used frames made by J.T.Braysher of Walthamstow although I seem to think Bill Carr used a Belgian frame when racing there, as british frames tended to shake themselves apart on the cobbles and generally rougher roads found in Belgium in the sixties. Ted Hookins was another Essex Roads star of that era, although I didn't know him but as a star-struck junior would admire him from a distance.

Getting back to Rory O'Brien, as has been mentioned in an earlier post, he was a keen yachtsman, especially on the Essex estuaries and coastal inlets.

He was also known to drive at high speed down to the South of France for short stays, whether he did any sailing there I don't know but there must be lots of people out there who knew him well and could fill in a lot of the spaces.

He was also a lifetime member of the Easterley Road Club. Perhaps that rings a bell for a few people?

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
[attachment=2530:OBrien.jpg]
Rory O Brien closed within the last five years and sold frames under their own name up to then. The last time I was in the shop, about ten years ago they had a range of aluminium models on display. I don't know if they ever got into carbon fibre, I had moved away before they became commonplace. I would presume they did as they always kept up to date.

'Smokin Joe' , this frame is currently for sale on Ebay - with Columbus 'Air' tubing - is that steel or aluminium ? I've never heard of that tubing before.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rory-OBrien-Lo-Pro-Aero-Frame-53cm-/180632821441?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2a0e8e1ec1

post-1003-0-18289900-1299247910_thumb.jpg

I wonder which company would have made this frame ?

Attachments

• AirO\'Brien.jpg
    AirO\'Brien.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 82
  • AirO\'Brien2.jpg
    AirO\'Brien2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom