Rory O'Brien bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

topher1

Rory O'Brien transfers.... the other ones.... pictured above

On 10/3/2011 6:49 AM, Nick Tithecott wrote:
Dear Chris
I've never seen that head decal before so have nothing to work from. As I've never been asked for it before either I wouldn't be too keen to spend time getting it sorted. The downtube I have seen before, and do occassionally get asked for it too, but its a four hour job to recreate and those four hours need to be paid for (ie gbp 100 for set-up) I would also need detailed photos and a tracing.
I'm happy to take it on, but it's quite a lump to pay for the first pair off!!!
Regards
Nick T
nick@hlloydcycles.com
H LLOYD CYCLES
www.hlloydcycles.com

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Over on Ebay, there is what I'd imagine to be a rather rare Rory O'Brien musette . . .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rory-OBri...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item35b5e79813

No offers, thus far.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
gbp 100 for set-up . . . it's quite a lump to pay for the first pair off!!!

If only we could have had just a penny donation for each of the 22,000+ views of this thread - we could have purchased those transfers.

I really must get another Rory O'Brien frame.

This has been & is a most amazing and interesting (imo) thread.

raindog

er.....
Rory O'Brien transfers.... the other ones.... pictured above

On 10/3/2011 6:49 AM, Nick Tithecott wrote:
Dear Chris
I've never seen that head decal before so have nothing to work from. As I've never been asked for it before either I wouldn't be too keen to spend time getting it sorted. The downtube I have seen before, and do occassionally get asked for it too, but its a four hour job to recreate and those four hours need to be paid for (ie gbp 100 for set-up) I would also need detailed photos and a tracing.
I'm happy to take it on, but it's quite a lump to pay for the first pair off!!!
Regards
Nick T
nick@hlloydcycles.com
H LLOYD CYCLES
www.hlloydcycles.com
What did you send him to work from for the down tube? I'm curious, as I have a Rory signature that someone sent me from a catalogue.

Not as good as transfers, but you can get stickers printed on transparent plastic quite cheap I believe, but obviously, you need a decent bit of
original art-work to work from.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Over on Ebay, there is what I'd imagine to be a rather rare Rory O'Brien musette . . .

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35b5e79813

No offers, thus far.
Pubrunner,

I have one of those upstairs in the wardrobe, mine is red rather than the blue in your link. It's late eighties/early nineties vintage, bought from the shop in North Street, Romford (as is the Cannondale CAAD2 frame I have in the loft, year 2k vintage).

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I never met Vic Gibbons nor Ken Craven although I rode in a couple of time trials which he won (he nearly always won).If you survived this you were generally set up for the rest of the season.

A good mate of mine was a time trialist of that era; his name is Mick Ward and he's still a very handy cyclist - I hope I can be as fit, when I'm his age !

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hilary Stone has a nice Rory O'Brien frame for sale :

http://hilarystone.com/images/sale images/frames/Rory-O'Brien-60s70s.jpg

I sold mine for a lot cheaper than that ! :angry:

I'm 800ks from Paris.
Another French make that do split down tubes is Mecacycle.

mecacycle.jpg
Mine shown below

Gordon

Mecacycle 1.jpg

Mecacycle frame.jpg

Very nice bike, Gordon.

It's very similar to my Geliano.

Does it have English or French measurements and fittings ?

Oddly enough, it has an English threaded bottom bracket. Seat post is 26.6mm but is weird in that it is a quill seat post with an expander bolt as there's no seat tube clamp. To adjust the height you need to take the saddle off. The bars have been changed since the photo was taken and it now has a set of genuine Mecacycle bars like the ones below, but fitted with Mavic reverse brake levers rather than Ergos.

Gordon

mecacycle bars.jpg

Brian

Excellent thread and , tbh, the type of thing I signed up on here for.

My Dad had a Rory in the 50's , Mum had a curly stay Hetchins. Both were very active in the East london / essex racing scene of the 50's . Vic Gibbons has been mentioned in this thread a lot, Dad talks of him.

Dad was in the Penguin , Mum the Bucaneers (later became Redbridge) when they met, Dad later joined the Buccs

Mums parents were in University CC and Roslyn Ladies.

In the 60's we all used to marshall the TT's and support one particular Rider in the 12's and 24's (Pete Reeve) in the days when Nim Carline used to dominate.

I was in the Penguins until it collapsed. I was 14 at the time. Run by the guy who owned a pie and eel shop. Then, after a spell in the CTC, joined the Dixie Wheelers as my brother and sister already belonged. Was the last club champion as I was the only one to do the three events (25, 50 and 100 miles). Slowest club champion ever! I also had a Rory, massed start machine.

Top Bottom