Rory O'Brien bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Musrum

RoryOBrienBicycle34_zps9721e31f.jpg

RoryOBrienBicycle31Large_zpsa3b0772e.jpg

RoryOBrienBicycle30Large_zpsbb675a41.jpg

RoryOBrienBicycle29Large_zps5048c41f.jpg

RoryOBrienBicycle28Large_zpse6b84d06.jpg

RoryOBrienBicycle11Large_zpsb429f81d.jpg

RoryOBrienBicycle12Large_zpse861ad1d.jpg

RoryOBrienBicycle26Large_zps4c027a5d.jpg

RoryOBrienBicycle13Large_zpsad458c61.jpg

Dannyboy

Hi All , I bought a racer from Rory O'Brien Cycles in Romford , about 15/16 years ago and still have it . I worked local to the shop and bought piece by piece until i had every part i needed, then ihad the frame built to my 'spec' When i got the frame home i built the bike up , and i still have it now .
I joined a club summer '12 and some of the riders recognised the name on my frame and commented that i have a good bike and to look after it !

BryanH

Hi folks, just found forum by chance. Real trip down 'memory lane' - member of Romford Wheelers (and Hainault RC) in 1950s and many of the names mentioned in the 'Rory O'Brien' thread rang loud bells - especially Jim Whitaker (I had a Saturday job in his shop); Vic Gibbons,Ken Craven, Dave Bedwell and Bob Tregonning (I was at Hornchurch Grammar School with son Bob). Thanks, especially to Limey and Normgow for reminding me of the days when the pain in my legs was lactic acid not furred arteries, and I could still touch my toes without putting my back out!
Bryan Harris
Oh and I rode a Duckett - remember them? "Wise men in the east go to Duckets of Seven Kings"

JKCR

This thread is brilliant to read. I've just found out that I'm distantly related to Rory O'Brien, as Ken Kirby was my Dad's uncle. I just stumbled on this thread as my parents have two O'Brien frames in the garage and Ken's old handmade bike he gave to my father when he was dying. They've offered them to me to try and restore so I've been looking into the history and what would be involved to get them back on the road. It's great to hear stories from the people who bought bikes from them, and that some of the bikes are still going!

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
This thread is brilliant to read. I've just found out that I'm distantly related to Rory O'Brien, as Ken Kirby was my Dad's uncle. I just stumbled on this thread as my parents have two O'Brien frames in the garage and Ken's old handmade bike he gave to my father when he was dying. They've offered them to me to try and restore so I've been looking into the history and what would be involved to get them back on the road. It's great to hear stories from the people who bought bikes from them, and that some of the bikes are still going!

Yes, it has been an amazing thread ! Over 30,000 views and still going !

It'd be great to see some pics of your two O'Briens and the frame made by Ken Kirby. I actually sold my O'Brien (BIG mistake) and I'll get another when I can.

If you restore them, please first take some pics - especially of any transfers/decals.

Sole75

Regular
8911987695_e36309bf50.jpg

Hello everyone, this is my very first post on this amazing forum, so be gentle please! :smile:

Well, I was given recently with a Rory O'Brien bike and must admit, love at first sight! I didn't know anything about Rory or classic bikes before, I'm quite a beginner, started cycling only a year ago. I'm turning to you well clued up peeps to find out more details about this fantastic machine! You can spare the history of Rory and his shops as I found those bits out here already. I'm just curious about this bike's age, if it was a big thing in it's time or info about it's parts, like the French Vitus frame or the Campagnolo group set it's having. Any help and info would be highly appreciated! And also if someone would give a rough price just to see it's value.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Kris

More photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10781250@N04/sets/72157633853221251/

normgow

Guru
Hi folks, just found forum by chance. Real trip down 'memory lane' - member of Romford Wheelers (and Hainault RC) in 1950s and many of the names mentioned in the 'Rory O'Brien' thread rang loud bells - especially Jim Whitaker (I had a Saturday job in his shop); Vic Gibbons,Ken Craven, Dave Bedwell and Bob Tregonning (I was at Hornchurch Grammar School with son Bob). Thanks, especially to Limey and Normgow for reminding me of the days when the pain in my legs was lactic acid not furred arteries, and I could still touch my toes without putting my back out!
Bryan Harris
Oh and I rode a Duckett - remember them? "Wise men in the east go to Duckets of Seven Kings"
Just to keep the ball rolling; I remember Ducketts of Seven Kings. I knew Dave Whiting, who worked there for several years, quite well but only after he had gone to work at Kenistons in Romford.
I was recently trying to remember other lightweight shops east of London. At Stratford was Leach Marathon, at East Ham E.G.Bates, Hobbs of Barbican and Rory O'Brien at Manor Park, J.T. Braysher at Walthamstow, On the corner of Ilford High Street and Ilford Lane was it Whittaker? Then came Ducketts at Seven Kings, Rory O'Brien, Kenistons and I believe Burroughs at Romford. I can't think of anymore until H.E Bates at Westcliff which became Hetchins after they moved from Tottenham.
Can any of you cyclechatters fill in the gaps?

Sole75

Regular
8911987695_e36309bf50.jpg

Hello everyone, this is my very first thread on this amazing forum, so be gentle please! :smile:

Well, I was given recently with a Rory O'Brien bike and must admit, love at first sight! I didn't know anything about Rory or classic bikes before, I'm quite a beginner, started cycling only a year ago. I'm turning to you well clued up peeps to find out more details about this fantastic machine! You can spare the history of Rory and his shops as I found those bits out here already. I'm just curious about this bike's age, if it was a big thing in it's time or info about it's parts, like the French Vitus frame or the Campagnolo group set it's having. Any help and info would be highly appreciated! And also if someone would give a rough price just to see it's value.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Kris

More photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10781250@N04/sets/72157633853221251/

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Sole75 that is a fantastic looking bike and i would guess mid to late 80's as for value got to be £200 + , but seeing as it was given to you normal cycle chat tradition is to give away foc to first reply ^_^

being serious i would be proud to have that in my garage

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That is a beautiful bike! I too have a Rory O'Brien but mine is a fake! (Dawes) I should think you could comfortably put another £100 on top of Bigg's valuation. Have a look at classicrendezvous.com for some more info. Rory had a shop in Romford I think, but people on here will be able to tell you more. The Vitus frame would be quite rare I imagine as I never seen one before. Treasure it!

raindog

er.....
That's gorgeous, but if the frame is a bonded aluminium Vitus, why has someone stuck Rory O'Brien transfers on it? I don't get it. Maybe the shop bought some Vitus frames cheap and badged them. Does anyone know?

Whatever, you'll get some great miles out of that :smile:

It's certainly a very nice looking thing, but take note of the wise words above it, treasure it - whatever it's made from.

Too many folk have owned and sold bikes such as this only to regret it hours, days, weeks, years later, just trust me on that point OK :whistle:

Ride it, enjoy it :thumbsup:

PS: :welcome: to CC

Top Bottom