Rory O'Brien bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sole75

Regular
Thanks a lot for the kind words, it really is a fantastic bike. It runs smoothly and very light. No way selling it though! I was just curious about it's history as I couldn't find any info of this particular built.
Thanks again!

Sterba

Über Member
That looks like a six speed freewheel, not a (modern) cassette. If so, be careful if you ever have to take it off the hub. It might be the type that needs two chainwhips, the first pulling anti-clockwise on the ouside cog and the second holding the rest of the cluster still while you exert force on the first. Very tricky.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Beautiful example. Didn't Rory O'Brien have something to do with Ephgrave ?

^^^ Yes, Les Ephgrave built quite a few frames for Rory O'Brien, as did Vic Edwards - who also built 'Rondinalla' frames. It is highly likely, that some of the London frame builders also made frames for Rory O'Brien. O'Brien's did not build any of the frames that they sold . . . all were bought in.

For much more info. on Rory O'Brien, check this thread . . . . . . .

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/rory-obrien-bike.2483/

That's gorgeous, but if the frame is a bonded aluminium Vitus, why has someone stuck Rory O'Brien transfers on it? I don't get it. Maybe the shop bought some Vitus frames cheap and badged them. Does anyone know?

The bike owned by the OP, is simply one to which someone has fastened Rory O'Brien decals; whether this was done at the Rory O'Brien shop, or by a previous owner, is impossible to say. I'm not aware of O'Briens bringing in foreign frames, but I guess we will never know.

That's gorgeous, . . .

Whatever, you'll get some great miles out of that :smile:

Yes, whatever the frame is (not a 'typical' Rory O'Brien), it is very nice indeed !

BarryBonkers

Regular
Wow, I haven't seen a Vitus 979 frame in such good condition for ages.

I'm just curious about this bike's age, if it was a big thing in it's time or info about it's parts, like the French Vitus frame or the Campagnolo group set it's having

Is there a serial number on the bottom bracket? That should give you the age of the frame. Perhaps 1985-ish?

As for the Vitus frames themselves, back in the day they had a reputation for being very light, and delicate. The delicate part stemmed from the comparison with steel, which was the predominant racing frame-set at the time. To keep it shiny you might like to try ACF-50, developed by the Lear Corporation for their aluminium bodied jets.

Looked after, the Campagnolo components will last a lifetime. You can buy spares, even today. If I was you, you might want to ask your local bike shop (LBS) to service and adjust the gears. And the Miche hubs, they're okay but now you're destined to search for wheels with Campagnolo hubs to complete the set... ;)

graham west

Rory O'Brien was a friend of my father, whom he met at the stone sailing club, in st Lawrence bay on the river blackwater. Both Rory, and my father owned shearwater catermerans, and raced them on the river, although this part was more like an estuary, about a mile across, very open to strong winds, where these boats would move at great speeds. There were 10- 12 shearwaters, as well as many other types of dingys. Rory was a very nice man, always ready to help, and lots of fun too. This was around 1960-4, I was ten years old, but I remember rory as being tallish, with wavy grey hair, and legs with large knees. About 1964 my father sent me to boarding school at goring, outside Worthing. I needed a bike, my father spoke to rory, and a few weeks later a newish rory O'Brien bike arrived. I rode that bike into the ground, but it was up to my best efforts. I can't remember what eventually happened to that bike. The shop that the bike came from was in rush green, not far from roneo corner. graham west.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Summat's wrong with the thread - there's a whole load of recent posts gone missing :wacko:

Yeah , you are correct - IIRC, there were about 20 -30 pages . . . . . . . Weren't there ? Shame if they're gone, 'cos this thread is turning into the definitive resource, for all things Rory O'Brien.

raindog

er.....
All the replies and "likes" to Sole75's post have disappeared, and you're right, PR - about 20 older pages have gone too.
Perhaps a mod can help?

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
All the replies and "likes" to Sole75's post have disappeared, and you're right, PR - about 20 older pages have gone too.
Perhaps a mod can help?

I've just sent Shaun a message . . . . . . . if he can't fix it, nobody can !

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi folks, just found forum by chance. Real trip down 'memory lane' - member of Romford Wheelers (and Hainault RC) in 1950s and many of the names mentioned in the 'Rory O'Brien' thread rang loud bells - especially Jim Whitaker (I had a Saturday job in his shop); Vic Gibbons,Ken Craven, Dave Bedwell and Bob Tregonning (I was at Hornchurch Grammar School with son Bob). Thanks, especially to Limey and Normgow for reminding me of the days when the pain in my legs was lactic acid not furred arteries, and I could still touch my toes without putting my back out!
Bryan Harris
Oh and I rode a Duckett - remember them? "Wise men in the east go to Duckets of Seven Kings"

I saw a Duckett bike just a month or two ago - and it was in excellent, original condition. Do you still have a 'vintage' bike, Bryan ?

Shaun

Founder
Summat's wrong with the thread - there's a whole load of recent posts gone missing :wacko:

They were in a separate thread - I've merged them with this one. As to a missing 20 or 30 pages, I can't (currently) find any evidence of that. If you can tell me some of the posters names or advise on some of the content, I can look.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Top Bottom