Rory O'Brien bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I have a Rory O'Brien that I'd like to have dated. Looks like an early 70's but is there anyone who can tell by the frame number?

Rory O'Brien frames were made by various framebuilders; what is known, is that he didn't build any himself. As a result, it is virtually impossible to assign an accurate date to a frame.

I'm sure that there are a few on here that would like to see of photo of what you have - is it a frame or an entire bike ? If you read back through this thread, you'll see that a variety of decals/transfer have been used, but again, it is difficult to give an accurate date. If you can post a pick, I'm sure that we'll be able to give you some useful information.

classicarman

OK, in that case I don't send the frame number but I can include a link to recent photos. The detailled shots of the frame are taken before I sympathetically disassembled and rebuilt the bike. Despite some rust spots the bike is originally and wears its patina and charm beautifully.
I'd like to hear your thoughts. I've read most of this thread, it's interesting.
11240571393_85ab981125_b_d.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22440193@N06/sets/72157638423577313/

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Great Pics ! @classicarman .

First of all, I think it is a great looking bike !

It is certainly an interesting find - like most Rory O'Briens.

On the seat-tube, I can see a rectangular Reynolds 531 decal/transfer. Because of the angle of the photo, it is difficult to read the transfer; in the gold area at the bottom of the transfer, if it reads :-

Manufactured by
Reynolds Tube Co. Ltd
Birmingham England

. . . . . . . then (in theory) the frame dates between 1973 & early 1977.

However, if in the gold area at the bottom of the transfer, it reads :-

Manufactured by
TI Reynolds Limited
Birmingham England

. . . . . . . then (in theory) the frame dates between mid 1977 - mid 1980s.

Reynolds added the gold box and address at the bottom in 1973. Although Reynolds were part of TI earlier than 1977 they didn’t change the contents of the gold box at bottom until 1977.

However, there would still have been a lot of old print stock knocking about, that would have gone onto later-built frames and indeed, I've seen mid-’80’s with pre-’73 decals on them. And of course, it is quite possible, that this is a frame that has been resprayed/enameled at some time.

If this has the later TI Reynolds decal (1977 - mid 80s), then I'm surprised that the frame has no brazed-on cable guides on the top tube and no braze-ons for the shifters - in my (non-expert) opinion :smile: , the lack of these features would suggest an earlier frame. I think that you have a very attractive 1970's Rory O'Brien, though it is difficult to tell whether early or late 70s. I don't think that it is a 60s bike, or one built in the 80s.

I wonder if the Shimano Crane derailleur is original to the bike ? They were introduced in about 1975/6 which would tie in with the likely age of the bike.

Perhaps other forum members might like to offer their opinions ?

Last edited:

classicarman

Thanks @pubrunner.
I checked the Reynolds label. It appears to be the same as H Lloyd's "531F77-82".
The frame number stamped onto the BB is 796.
Simple frame detail - no cable/shifter/bottle guides or pump pegs, interesting but not Ephgrave lugs.
If it was re painted it was a while ago and properly prepared, not over painted.
Bar tape was felt-feeling and navy blue, I replaced with white cloth, twine and shellac. Not correct but looks nicer. I also removed the black anodising from the SR seat post.

I'd be open to sensible offers.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
After taking it out at the weekend I'm now in 2 minds as to whether or not I keep it. Knew that would be a mistake.

Keep it; I sold mine . . . . . . . and have regretted it ever since.

I sold it to a fellow V-CC member; he asked me if could make it as 'affordable' as possible and he also told me that he wanted it for V-CC Section Rides.

It was an early (50's) Rory O'Brien as made by Les Ephgrave and was entirely original. I sold it to him at a 'knockdown' price, thinking I was doing him as favour . . . . . . . two days later, the frame was for sale on Ebay advertised as 'suitable for 'fixie' ' - and I later found out, that was what happened to it.

The primary aim of the V-CC, by the way, is the 'preservation & conservation' of old bikes. The guy to whom I sold it, is one of the 'leading lights' of the V-CC - got to laugh at that.

Please be aware, that if you sell an entire bike such as this, there is every chance that it will be pulled apart, with the bits sold individually - that's how the dealers operate, to maximise profits.

As mentioned by @rbreid in another topic within this section . . .

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/can-you-name-my-frame.129958/

Given that it is unlikely that identification is going to happen in this case, if you are after best value then breaking is IMHO your best bet. The crankset is a Stronglight 49D and can fetch a good price on Ebay (check closed listings for how much to expect). Same with the bar end shifters (look like Campagnolo) and the centrepull brakes possibly Mafac from what I can see in pics. Lyotard Berthet pedals also fetch good prices. Well over a hundred quids worth in those parts alone I'd estimate. Listed as a complete bike possibly £50 and yet the bare frame might make nearly that. Odd I know but that is what tends to happen on Ebay. Not a good time of year to list though what with xmas round the corner. Best in the autumn when peeps are looking at readying for winter project builds.
Be aware too that it would be likely that if you listed it complete you'd see the parts above listed a week later by the purchaser, happens all too regularly IME.

In my experience, the above comments ^^^ are entirely correct.

Sadly, I can't bring myself to pull any of my bikes apart, much less, sell one - though my better half wishes that I would. :smile:

classicarman

Keep it; I sold mine . . . . . . . and have regretted it ever since.

I'd love to keep it but that was not the idea behind my original purchase. I prefer to breathe new life into forlorn or overlooked items. Maybe though, in future. I should stick to buying more of your everyday fodder so as not to get attached. Nah. Always been my problem. I'm with you in that I'd never buy anything to strip and sell for parts. I can see it's a tempting weakness for some whilst there's a market but for me the joy is seeing a complete bike. Whilst the original frame's still holding up, that's where the parts belong.

More photos and specification can be found here...
velomike.wordpress.com

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
buying an old quality bike to strip is a crime , although being honest i have done it a couple of time on more bread & butter gas pipe bikes .

@classicarman that looks a great bike , keep it enjoy it and ride it

Last edited:

normgow

Guru
Great Pics ! @classicarman .

I wonder if the Shimano Crane derailleur is original to the bike ? They were introduced in about 1975/6 which would tie in with the likely age of the bike.

Perhaps other forum members might like to offer their opinions ?

It could be that the bike is a bit older, I bought a Shimano Crane rear mechanism in 1972 (stil works reasonably well).

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
It could be that the bike is a bit older, I bought a Shimano Crane rear mechanism in 1972 (stil works reasonably well).

It could be that the bike is older, but I think that's unlikely, 'cos the Reynolds transfer looks original and that type didn't come out until 1977.

But whatever age it is, I really like it.

ocianbricles

I have a Rory O'Brien frame that I bought from stock in the Romford shop in 1978ish Romford. As it had been in the shop a while unsprayed I am under the impression that it was a 1977 frame. the number is 707 which would indicate to me it was a 1977 frame.
I have just had it copper-coloured powder-coated. Waiting for decals. I also have acquired another "R" . . . a 1952 Rivetts of Leytonstone that I got from a lady who was in my first club the Penquin cycle club. My first frame was an of the peg Holdsworth from Rory's in the early 'fifties.

Attachments

• IMG_1442 (640x360) (640x360).jpg
    IMG_1442 (640x360) (640x360).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Si33

Hi, first post here. It seems like my google search of Rory O'Brien, like many others, has led me here. I have gone through the whole thread with great interest - such a fascinating read. It has got me interested in acquiring an O'Brien frame if possible. Could any of you knowledgeable types cast an eye over this please - fourth frame down from the top http://www.hilarystone.com/frameset13.html

The decals look more modern that sixties in my limited opinion - that doesn't mean to say it has had a re-spray at some point.... Any thoughts gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Simon

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
From memory I'm sure those decals were used by Rory O'Brien during that period. I think what they put on depended on what suited the frame colour, panelled tubes used block graphics. The later frames just had R o B on the tubes.

Top Bottom