Rory O'Brien bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Single Sprocket

Hi,
I'm looking for any information on this (possible) Rory O'Brien tandem frame that I have recently purchased, I'm under no false pretences that it may well not be a ROB but it's where I need to start my search, I'm planning on rebuilding this over the coming winter and would like to return in to it's original builders name.
I believe at one point this was owned by Roy Hodges and was regularly raced on the E72, perhaps a frame he bought and was then re-painted and badged up as ROB ?

Frame No is 6352, Stamped on the N/S rear drop out and also on the Fork Steerer.

All of the frame lugs are blended and there's an unusual chain stay arrangement that may well help pin point the frame builder.

Any info gladly received.

Jim

jimsphonepics356_zps04bcc94b.jpg

jimsphonepics357_zps813ffd8c.jpg
jimsphonepics353_zps73fd9425.jpg
jimsphonepics347_zpsa492e05e.jpg
jimsphonepics344_zps43333c49.jpg

Keith Bines

I have a 1988 Rory O'Brien - still in daily use. Original MA40 wheels with full Shimano 600 Ultegra groupset. Cinelli bars and stem and look pedals. It is in desperate need of a respray and I have found somebody local to me who can do it. However I cannot source any transfers that are of the same type. Any body know where I can get them?

Steve Mears

I have just inherited a Rory' from my old friend Bob Fox (a 'Becontree Wheeler' who sadly passed away two years ago). My Auntie used to live in the flat immediately above the shop on the Romford Road, in Manor Park. I am trying to restore it. Will post picture as soon as I work out how to do so.

Eagle Glenn

Just chanced on this forum & thread as I'll be selling my Vitus 979 I bought new from Rory O'Brien in1987 and was looking for transfers. The transfers are adhesive & peeling off, so I thought I'd replace them before selling the frame.

I'm in the Eagle Road Club & raced late 70s to late 80s. I've now started racing again, on carbon bikes.

My first frame was a 531 Claud Butler bought from Dick (HR) Morris in Walthamstow (I couldn't afford one of his so he did me a deal on one that had been in his window for ages. The paint had badly faded on one side!). After crashing that my next was a Condor Italia bought 2nd hand.

I've also got a 531 Brian Wilkins track bike c early 1970s. We used to hang out at Brian's shop in Markhouse Rd (I think he took it off Frank Lipscombe). I bought it off a club mate and raced it at Harlow Track. I emailed Brian recently - he's in France & still regularly riding his bike. Happily he remembered making the frame (& his wife lining the lugs!)

There are some nice pics & memories on this thread. I also raced tandem on the E72 (my only club record ) and don't remember the tandem frame above. However it could have been Roy Hodges's - certainly he could have turned that chainring!

Regards to anyone who knows me or the Eagle RC

Yaz731200

1390483_10153450553775068_1172702189_n.jpg

My brother gave me a rory o brien frame on Sunday as I need a bike.
Had it in the garden a while, picked up a campag veloce groupset tonight and an FsA chanset oh and some fulcrum wheels.
Nothing major just wana get it working and then slowly upgrade it.
Hope the pic works.

Last edited by a moderator:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Yaz731200 no pic didnt work for me which is a shame

Owd Fella

What a cracking thread. Lots of useful and interesting info here. Many of the shop names I only recognise from the adverts in 'Sporting Cyclist' magazines from the 50's and 60's. Being a Welshman I never got into East London but when my sister married in '61 and went to live in Kingston I did get to Carpenters, Cyril Wren and Reeds.

I do recognise all the 'names' mentioned. Ken Craven was my hero in the TT'ing world. I never met him but did ride a couple of events he won!

One name that has not been mentioned in the frame building for the trade side of the cycle business is Tonard. Perhaps they were to far to the South of London? However, they were a company that made anything involving joining bits of metal together (possibly even the first supermarket trolleys for the UK?) and made some very nice frames. They were part owned by Keith Hardwick who later started up Elsmar Distribution. His wife used to be Signor Campagnolo's secretary which is where the Campagnolo, Clement etc. agency contacts came from.

I have a Vitus 979 frame, nominally a Peugeot one but the decals were packed separately so didn't always get fitted. I'm sure they must have been sold to the trade 'blank' as I've seen them with all sorts of names on and in a variety of anodised colours. Graham Weigh used to sell loads with his name on for instance. The very nice black ROB one seen earlier is probably one like this.

Yaz731200

Got it riding today and picked up a lovely kmc gold chain(not in image) frame is a little on the big side hence the low saddle and a tad long again super short stem, but even with an old shimano chain riding home from acton to twickenham it was lovely, oh and the hand tight bb, badly fitted rear tyre flat spot and lack of brakes.
But I just needed to give it a little ride haha!

1457737_10153463528960068_1965244385_n[1].jpg

Sorry I can't link images correctly stupid iPad!!
Tomrow is a full strip down clean the frame maybe a polish then rebuild it for my winter bike!

Last edited by a moderator:

classicarman

I have a Rory O'Brien that I'd like to have dated. Looks like an early 70's but is there anyone who can tell by the frame number?

Top Bottom