Rory O'Brien bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Si33

Thanks for your reply Smokin Joe. So you think those decals were around in the 60s? It does have just R o B for the head badge.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Thanks for your reply Smokin Joe. So you think those decals were around in the 60s? It does have just R o B for the head badge.
I'm going by memory here, but as the Manor Park shop was my local LBS and many club mates rode them that definitely looks like it comes from that era. I can't actually remember the head tube badge, but it would be difficult to fit the full name on it.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi, first post here. It seems like my google search of Rory O'Brien, like many others, has led me here. I have gone through the whole thread with great interest - such a fascinating read. It has got me interested in acquiring an O'Brien frame if possible. Could any of you knowledgeable types cast an eye over this please - fourth frame down from the top http://www.hilarystone.com/frameset13.html

The decals look more modern that sixties in my limited opinion - that doesn't mean to say it has had a re-spray at some point.... Any thoughts gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Simon

Hi, I've taken a look at the Rory O'Brien frame; as with anything, it all depends on how it might meet your requirements. With the rack built on the rear, cantilever front brakes and 'relaxed' front forks, it would (IMO) make the basis of a comfortable touring bike. It looks a nicely made frame, with some thoughtful touches - it's a while since I've seen pump mountings behind the seat tube - a sensible notion.

I don't think it needs painting, I'd just ensure that it is clean and build it up 'as is'. It is quite an interesting frame (IMO) and would be the subject of some keen attention from more senior cyclists.

I think that it is a very reasonable price . . . . . . . at the end of the day however, it is all down to whether it will suit your needs . . . And if it is the right size.

If you do purchase this frame, don't pay too much attention to any frame numbers - they were constructed by a few frame builders.

I've just noticed, this thread has had 45,000 views - amazing !

Last edited:

Si33

I have purchased the Rory O'Brien frame that I mentioned a few posts earlier. That link no longer works as it has come off the site so here are a few photos for reference. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread - the history and knowledge shown has been remarkable. I would love to have peoples opinion on this frame - I have this information from Hilary Stone when we looked over it -

" The fork crown is very typical of some Vic Edwards built frames and the frame number with the single letter prefix is also typical of Rory O'Brien frames I believe that were built by Vic. What I think threw me in the first place was the lugs which are an older design used frequently by Wally Green. The Simplex vertical dropouts are those of the type used in the late 50s and 1960s. By the 1970s they were not used in the UK generally. "

I have some specific questions I would love advice on, but firstly, I'll just put 'it out there' for general feedback.

Thanks in advance for any pointers on how you think this bike would have been built up in period.

Simon

16425895422_e957bb1655.jpg

16400840836_42d55b7866.jpg

16400849406_895bbec903.jpg

16400957776_0f58568f52.jpg

Album link - https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8aaTan

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I can't really add much more, other than most (though by no means all) Rory O'Briens were built by Vic Edwards or Les Ephgrave, both frame builders of the highest repute. To buy a new frame made to this specification, would cost you far more than you've paid for it.

If it were mine, I'd just ensure that it is clean and build it up as is; a fine frame and a doubt you'll see another to that specification.

bikesknob

Add me to the list of those who joined the forum after searching google for Rory bikes. Thanks for providing all this fantastic information. I bought one (or what remains of one) by chance a few weeks ago because of the 531 sticker on downtube (yep, I'm a simple man). It's a 59cm frame from the early to mid 1970s from what I can tell from this thread and a few other sources. As the photo shows, it's been somewhat crudely converted into a single speed/fixie, so the only original parts appear to be the frame and forks and possibly the drop bars. I took the photo moments after buying it and have cleaned it up a bit since then, thouogh I've realised the frame is slightly too big for me.

I was of two minds to either uprade it to a more roadworthy fixie or restore it to its original glory, either of which would probably include a powdercoat. Instead I'm thinking of selling it.
rory.jpg

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Add me to the list of those who joined the forum after searching google for Rory bikes. Thanks for providing all this fantastic information. I bought one (or what remains of one) by chance a few weeks ago because of the 531 sticker on downtube (yep, I'm a simple man). It's a 59cm frame from the early to mid 1970s from what I can tell from this thread and a few other sources. As the photo shows, it's been somewhat crudely converted into a single speed/fixie, so the only original parts appear to be the frame and forks and possibly the drop bars. I took the photo moments after buying it and have cleaned it up a bit since then, thouogh I've realised the frame is slightly too big for me.

I was of two minds to either uprade it to a more roadworthy fixie or restore it to its original glory, either of which would probably include a powdercoat. Instead I'm thinking of selling it.
rory.jpg

It would be nice to see a pic of the frame . . .

bikesknob

It would be nice to see a pic of the frame . . .

Fiddlesticks, I'm not sure why that other picture didn't work. I'll try again. And I'll post some more detailed shots later.

Thanks for starting this thread pubrunner, I can't believe how much time I've spent reading about Rory bikes.

Attachments

• rory.jpg
    rory.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 100

coolneo

HI all.
I came across your forum whilst attempting some research on my late Dads Rory bike.
he bought it in the early 60's as far as I understand and i remember it sitting in the shed, then a garage hanging on the wall upto this year hehe.
I have decided i am going to renovate it as unfortunately over the years in my dads garage it has suffered with a little rust as you can see on the photo's.
I'm thinking of a respray then rebuild as is.
I believe it is all original from when he rode many years ago.
Only problem i am having is finding the exact decals to replace.
anyone have any ideas where i can get any ?
Thanks in advance
Martin
012b735dcb4b029d95ee72ebafea89bfff9395468d.jpg 01f09de308023ad159e8180aa0f439631a40a1ce88.jpg 0152d49c0a8b584c0df58fe00f08cb02fdbaa12d42.jpg 01ac6f6c8dbd81d6fbc220d19b9339b8bc1d976cc4.jpg 01140b82e263d799a1447e09edd5240dff29b181d2_00001.jpg 01bedc6a24c047ab461294533efae5bd3297513911.jpg 013dd149a5a8b9834de0d15c9214015807de96e8f7.jpg 01140b82e263d799a1447e09edd5240dff29b181d2_00001.jpg

Attachments

• 012306ed4da108041adf79afa7e42913c2d2ecd506.jpg
    012306ed4da108041adf79afa7e42913c2d2ecd506.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 01ef46b5d0b3704db676043a059fdaf3c4cca38e34.jpg
    01ef46b5d0b3704db676043a059fdaf3c4cca38e34.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
HI all.
I came across your forum whilst attempting some research on my late Dads Rory bike.
he bought it in the early 60's as far as I understand and i remember it sitting in the shed, then a garage hanging on the wall upto this year hehe.
I have decided i am going to renovate it as unfortunately over the years in my dads garage it has suffered with a little rust as you can see on the photo's.
I'm thinking of a respray then rebuild as is.
I believe it is all original from when he rode many years ago.
Only problem i am having is finding the exact decals to replace.
anyone have any ideas where i can get any ?
Thanks in advance
Martin
View attachment 93543 View attachment 93544 View attachment 93545 View attachment 93547 View attachment 93549 View attachment 93546 [ATTACKH]93548[/ATTACH] View attachment 93549

That's a lovely bike you have !

If it were mine, I most certainly would not paint it. Just give it a wipe over, with a cloth, it'd be a shame to lose all that patina and originality. It is actually worth more as an original bike - it is just the kind of bike that collectors are looking for. Frequently, some 'collectors' buy bikes just like this, to strip them down and sell off the bits - they make more money that way.

Take a look at this website, and reflect on the values of the frames - as you'll see, patina is a very popular selling point. These frames are a similar age to your own :

http://www.hilarystone.com/frameset9.html

Take a look at this link, scroll down until you see the final frame (not as nice as yours -IMO)

http://www.hilarystone.com/frameset6.html

If you really must paint it, you can get decals from here :

http://www.hlloydcycles.com/

All the best,

Pubby

Oh yes, could you put on a photo of the rear brake bridge - it might give a clue to the frame builder.

coolneo

Hi Pubby
Thanks for your reply.
I must admit I am a bit hesitant to repaint it, it just seemed the thing to do but I will have a serious think before I do anything rash.
Maybe just a full strip down and rebuild :smile:
Apart from maybe finding out a value for insurance purposes the actual monetary value isn't an issue as its sentimental value is priceless and I wouldn't sell it. I hope the photo's below are clear enough.
Many thanks for your suggestions and links.
017918c8e46cf1663a7ab167b0c25d858e0934020a.jpg 014681f32e6cd58cfec1096fa6442ea8f57ca37025.jpg

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi Pubby
Thanks for your reply.
I must admit I am a bit hesitant to repaint it, it just seemed the thing to do but I will have a serious think before I do anything rash.
Maybe just a full strip down and rebuild :smile:
Apart from maybe finding out a value for insurance purposes the actual monetary value isn't an issue as its sentimental value is priceless and I wouldn't sell it. I hope the photo's below are clear enough.
Many thanks for your suggestions and links.
View attachment 93594 View attachment 93595

The more that I look at that bike, the more I like it !

I can't say who built it, but it was a quality frame builder - being early 60s, I'd guess Vic Edwards or perhaps Les Ephgrave. Both of them were builders of the highest calibre.

Now here's an interesting thing, I've never seen a 531 decal like the one on your bike. I suggest that you consider posting your bike on the Retrobike forum - make sure you include a photo of the transfer. Are there any more on the bike ?

Oh yes, an early Simplex shifter like the one on your bike, would fetch a tidy price on EBay. Type 'Simplex Shifter' into EBay and be prepared to be impressed with the prices that they make.

Last edited:

coolneo

No more decals.
the frame itself has some stamped numbers etc.
What possibly is "1966" or highly unlikely "1906"
The word " NERVEX" and underneath that very faintly is a string of numbers and letters.
01416c3bdabad753c580c996a653dd081ef7b38a6f.jpg 018d1ef606274869c2543f793a064ee8b30fa84e03.jpg 0104d9d263b28fa32adb1530affa1c8b94c7149b5b.jpg

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
No more decals.
the frame itself has some stamped numbers etc.
What possibly is "1966" or highly unlikely "1906"
The word " NERVEX" and underneath that very faintly is a string of numbers and letters.
View attachment 93619 View attachment 93620 View attachment 93621

Sadly, it is highly unlikely that you'll be able to glean much info. from the frame numbers/letters. Rory O'Briens were built by quite a few frame builders - each with his own numbering 'system'.

I had a rear dérailleur just like the one on your bike - sold it for £35 on EBay. I suggest that you identify just what components are currently fitted - they should help to put a date on the frame.

If it were my frame, I'd just clean it up and fettle it as required. No need to paint it (IMO) - that way, it stays as Dad's bike and I think that down the line, you'd be pleased that you retained the originality. Besides which, it is easy enough to pick up a cheap 531 frame to restore and renovate as a project.

Top Bottom