Rose bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Yes, as I understand businesses will pay using a deferred scheme rather than at point of import in order to keep the ports moving and get a monthly certificate which should match the import records to include on the VAT return. UK businesses will no longer be required to complete EC sales listings.
It’s a bit of a chew as EORI registration is required and also if applicable MOSS.
But that's virtually unenforceable on foreign online purchases. Amazon would likely do it right because it has a UK presence, but for a seller without UK presence who would the government chase?

But that's virtually unenforceable on foreign online purchases. Amazon would likely do it right because it has a UK presence, but for a seller without UK presence who would the government chase?
Honest answer, haven’t a clue. Presume it would be held at port if there was no details held on the system.

On the Rose website------

Due to Brexit and the UK's exit from the EU single market on January 1, 2021, we are currently no longer able to ship orders to the UK. Orders that have already been placed before December 18th could be shipped. All other orders had to be cancelled. We hope to be able to supply all customers in the UK soon as a result of the free trade agreement. That is why we are currently reviewing our options.
many thanks for the update - maybe I will get to use my voucher.
I checked - that 9 speed cassette I got from them last January was £11.50 or so, recently bought the last one from wiggle/chain reaction for over £17. I put it on stock alert. When I got the notice a few days later that they were back in stock they were over £22.

southdownswolf

many thanks for the update - maybe I will get to use my voucher.
I checked - that 9 speed cassette I got from them last January was £11.50 or so, recently bought the last one from wiggle/chain reaction for over £17. I put it on stock alert. When I got the notice a few days later that they were back in stock they were over £22.

Cheapest 9 speed cassette Rose have is currently €29, so it might be more to do with supply than just Wiggle pricing.

Cheapest 9 speed cassette Rose have is currently €29, so it might be more to do with supply than just Wiggle pricing.
i agree that there are supply issues at the moment. Hopefully temporary. I think I have enough bits to ride this out.

There were serious supply issues at Rose in early December which is why I couldn't use my voucher in anticipation of coming brexit issues - some common bits were showing several weeks for supplies (still cheaper than wiggle) which would have pushed things into the new year.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Some European company owners may also feel strongly about what the UK has recently done to the eu,

You mean that the UK government actually dared to implement the result of a democratic vote in the UK that instructed them to get us out of their political project cult and stop handing them £20bn a year of our taxpayer's money?
Seems like a case of dummy spitting to me, and fine, if EU companies think pro-EU posturing is more important than doing business, then that's their problem. We have the whole world to trade with not just their little protectionist bloc. As a share of world trade, the EU are becoming less and less important as time goes by anyway. Eventually they'll just regulate themselves out of economically viable existence while the rest of the world gets on with doing more and more business without them.

e-rider

crappy member
You mean that the UK government actually dared to implement the result of a democratic vote in the UK that instructed them to get us out of their political project cult and stop handing them £20bn a year of our taxpayer's money?
Seems like a case of dummy spitting to me, and fine, if EU companies think pro-EU posturing is more important than doing business, then that's their problem. We have the whole world to trade with not just their little protectionist bloc. As a share of world trade, the EU are becoming less and less important as time goes by anyway. Eventually they'll just regulate themselves out of economically viable existence while the rest of the world gets on with doing more and more business without them.
After over 3 years of debate you still have this opinion? No doubt you voted for Boris too!

dodgy

Advisory referendum. Just keeping the facts straight. The government and their rich friends simply got the answer they wanted to avoid all those pesky tax laws that were coming out way. Working class people up and down the land who voted for it will end up paying for it.

Anyway, back to Rose. I have a Rose Carbon road bike from about 2010, excellent bike and I buy lots of spares from Rose also. Hope to see them selling to the UK again very soon.

Last bit of this story refers to increased shipping charges from various shippers, including DHL, to cover not the shipping as such but the extra admin etc for packages to and from the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55530721

If memory serves, Rose's always excellent shipping (in my experience) was with DHL, so even if they start up again it looks like there will be extra costs.

What did Boris say about no non-tariff barriers?

C R

Guru
Last bit of this story refers to increased shipping charges from various shippers, including DHL, to cover not the shipping as such but the extra admin etc for packages to and from the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55530721

If memory serves, Rose's always excellent shipping (in my experience) was with DHL, so even if they start up again it looks like there will be extra costs.

Non tariff barriers? I seem to remember something like "... waffle piffle, piffulus waffulus ..." not sure if I caught the Latin part accurately 😠

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

There aren't any non-tariff barriers. Nobody is setting any quotas or limits on the amount of any given product that can be imported either into the EU or the UK.
If parcel delivery services have chosen to raise their prices, that's a commercial decision on their part, and probably involves a large element of opportunistic price-hiking using the customs process as an excuse to increase profit margins.

Top Bottom