Rose tinted glasses reminiscing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
With this Thunderbirds thingy on tv tonight i'm reminiscing about watching the original on tv at my mum and dad's back in the mid sixties. I'm also thinking about Mr and Mrs Weir who used to set off every Sunday morning on their tandem and not arrive home till after tea,also Mr Cox who had a caravan and how he wore just a string vest(pants and shoes as well) all year round,also the vintage car rally that passed on a Sunday morning once a year and how we'd wait patiently for them to pass to cheer them on.
Mr and Mrs Weir's son still lives in the same house. I was talking to him the other week,he told me they continued riding that tandem well into their 80's!
All happy memories probably looked at through rose tinted glasses but nice though!
What are your rose tinted memories,and would you like to go back in time to live them once again,even if it's just for one day?

AndyRM

XOXO
Spooky, I've just been on a nostalgic trip about The Boat with MrsRM.

For those not in the know, The Boat was actually called The Tuxedo Princess and was a floating nightclub on the Tyne. There was a dangerous night when you could get in for a tenner and drink as much as you were capable. Had a spinning dance floor which broke its fair share of ankles over the years. The low ceilings meant the walls were dripping with sweat and condensation when it was full. An utterly vile and terrible place which I believe we sailed to Germany for a laugh.

Loved it.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Weekends with my parents.
Dad loved driving (it was his job) and would take us to local lochs for the day. Mum would make a fantastic picnic and I would wander along shore of the loch skimming stones and paddling in the water, sun beating down.
Now both my parents are no longer with us, I'd love to re-live just one of those days :smile:

matiz

Guru
Me and my mate Andy built a tandem out of spare parts in the 60s we were about 13 we used to set off on Sunday mornings from Wolverhampton and ride all day through Shropshire bridgnorth Ironbridge shifnal Newport we had no maps hadn't got a clue where we were half the time all fuelled on jam sandwiches and a Mars bar we used to roll back home at 10.o'clock in the evening parents didn't seem to worry ,sadly Andy died quite young I would love one more Sunday adventure on the tandem with him.

Hyslop

Veteran

For those not in the know, The Boat was actually called The Tuxedo Princess and was a floating nightclub on the Tyne. There was a dangerous night when you could get in for a tenner and drink as much as you were capable. Had a spinning dance floor which broke its fair share of ankles over the years. The low ceilings meant the walls were dripping with sweat and condensation when it was full. An utterly vile and terrible place which I believe we sailed to Germany for a laugh.

Loved it.
That takes me back!:okay:.My cousin+Newcastle Uni+Westgate Rd pubs+Bigg Market+Lindisfarne concerts(which is why I was there)+Tuxedo+Geordie lasses=very happy memories^_^

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
Sitting on a hot, sunny day with some friends fishing for Perch and Carp by The Grand Union Canal, next to the wood and paper house that was built for the scene where Douglas Bader was recaptured after escaping a German p.o.w camp in the film 'Reach for the Sky'. Watching that scene when it's shown on the telly always brings back rose tinted memories of 1955 when, as I remember it, the sun always shone from a cloudless blue sky throughout the summer holidays.

Hyslop

Veteran
Pubs on Westgate Road?! You're a brave man.
Well my cousins boyfriends were all big lads,so I could hide behind them if everything went hairy,and there was always the Commando barracks or the Fire Station if I had to leg it for safety.Wouldnt have put too much faith in the copshop,they looked worst of all!Mind you,I do come from Carlisle,hardly known for its fawning sophisticated nightlife.Another memory-Moondancer?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Propping the bike up against the kerb on the pedal whilst you went into the shop.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

Loved it.
I remember it well, the DJ spraying the acrid smoke machine at head height while you were on the rotating dance floor, I can taste the stuff and feel my eyes sting now. I bet it looked a right sight with the lights us and no drink inside you. Cramped, sticky floored, often on the edge of argy bargy and a great place to party.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Riding my bike from home - just outside of Norwich - out to Great Yarmouth. The A47 duel carriageway was not built then and the Acle Straight could be a bit interesting to ride along. We used to ride home via Horning and Coltishall so we would miss all the coaches coming back down the Straight.
We would take a few pence with us, just in case, a packed lunch and a bottle of squash. Brilliant times. Of course, there wasn't quite so much traffic about then and a lot more people on bikes.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I remember it well, the DJ spraying the acrid smoke machine at head height while you were on the rotating dance floor, I can taste the stuff and feel my eyes sting now. I bet it looked a right sight with the lights us and no drink inside you. Cramped, sticky floored, often on the edge of argy bargy and a great place to party.

Went on a U19 rugby tour to Newcastle a million years ago and ended up in there with the rest of the team. Copped off with some girl from Darlington and I was all set to go on her coach back there with her when I got dragged out by my team mates. Lucky escape but a great night having beaten Newcastle Gosforth earlier that day.

Top Bottom