Rossin bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Here is my Rossin road bike. I don't know the excact age but would guess that it is from the 1980s
I bought it for £40 from a bike shop in Mid Wales and it was amongst a pile of second hand machines outside the shop. It is a hand built frame made from Columbus tubing which is oval in section. Rossin is one of the top Italian frame builders and the company is still surviving and would be interested to know if there are any other members of cyclechat who have a Rossin bike.
rossinbike12611.jpg

raindog

er.....
And very nice too.
40 quid eh? Now that's a bargain.
I had a look at their website and I'm a bit surprised they don't do a 'retro' steel road frame
http://rossinbikes.it/it/

OP
OP
Ludwig

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Thanks for your replies.Yes that is as it came with no decals and the colour is a sort of racing green. They are usually done in bright primary colours. There is a a few on www.classicrendesvous and was one of the top Italian makers and was named after Marc Rossin.

Kahuczek

Rossin - 1980's 'Bling', the mid 80's bikes were absolutely stunning, Rossin frames are well worth restoring, they are increasing in value all the time.

Herbie

Veteran
Here is my Rossin road bike. I don't know the excact age but would guess that it is from the 1980s
I bought it for £40 from a bike shop in Mid Wales and it was amongst a pile of second hand machines outside the shop. It is a hand built frame made from Columbus tubing which is oval in section. Rossin is one of the top Italian frame builders and the company is still surviving and would be interested to know if there are any other members of cyclechat who have a Rossin bike.
rossinbike12611.jpg

great bike for 40 quid...nice one

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I bought it for £40 from a bike shop in Mid Wales and it was amongst a pile of second hand machines outside the shop. .

£40 !!! What a cracking bargain !!!

Please tell me the name of the shop (or the town) - I don't live far from that region. Mind you, the Missus would really lose her rag, if I buy any more bikes. That said, a bargain is a bargain and I've room for a few more bikes/frames.

OP
OP
Ludwig

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
rossincloseup.jpg
[/IMG]
rossin close up.jpg

This is a close uo and you can see the oval section of the steel tubing and the race tag and the cable disappearing into the tube. It was outside the bike shop in Newtown Mid Wales and I couldn't make my mind up and went went back a week later and made an offer. It has been a great bike and have done thousands of miles on it and only replaced the tryes and inner tubes. I have done a couple of time trials on it. The geartrain needs upgrading because it is hard work with the 52-42 chain rings and old 7speed freewheel. Also it has the old type of cup ballbearing bottom bracket which works loose from time to time and may need replacing and don't know if there are any of these old bearings about which a Miche.
There are lots of these old classic lightweights about looking for good homes and you just need to keep your eyes open. I will do about 20 miles today around the dams of mid Wales. Keep on riding and have a nice day.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
There are lots of these old classic lightweights about looking for good homes . . . . . . .

There won't be many bikes like this one available; just below where the cable goes into the top tube, is a 'tab' . . . . . . . to which a racing number would be fitted.

I've not seen a Rossin before, with a racing tab; looking at the pics, the bike does look to have pretty tight clearances. To get a Rossin which was specifically built for racing, for only £40, is an absolute bargain. I wonder what races it might have been used in - if this were my bike, I'd be doing everything I could, to find out what history it might have. Bearing in mind the ovalised tubing (Columbus Air ?), I wonder if it was built for time trialling or Sprints ?

It was outside the bike shop in Newtown Mid Wales and I couldn't make my mind up and went back a week later and made an offer.

It was there for a week !!! :eek:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Nice bike, nice deal!

I'd be interested to know about your seatpost: I've got an Eighties bike made from ovalised tubing and there is not enough round tube at the top to get 60/65mm of seatpost in.

Does yours have enough round tube, a thinner post and a shim or some other arrangement (a tapering seatpost perhaps)?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I've not seen a Rossin before, with a racing tab;

Check out this link;

http://bikedept.blogspot.com/2012/01/rossin-verandalux-1985-team.html

"It has a metal race number tab on the underside of the top tube. I have never seen another like it, as most Rossins i see via the web don't have this"

It might be worth contacting this guy; your £40 purchase, is looking better & better.

Newtown is only 30 minutes from where I live; be great if they have a similar bike available. :whistle:

Top Bottom