Roubaix - Compact or triple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zofo

Veteran
You are going to have to explain that one, I have a triple and no one has ever said to me "your triple looks naff"

You reckon? Just the opposite I would say.

I reckon that a triple makes a good quality road bike look very cluttered and you also need to bear in mind that some frames struggle to accept a triple crank as they've been designed specifically to be used with a double.
Just my opinion.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think that you'd would be forever trying to find the right gear with that wide a range of ratios. At the end of the day 34/28 should get you just about anything.
Does Leicestershire actually have any hills? Just asking, like.:whistle:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I think that you'd would be forever trying to find the right gear with that wide a range of ratios. At the end of the day 34/28 should get you just about anything.
the reason i ask is because thats the ratio's i have on my current hybrid bike and did a lot of my 42 mile ride on monday in the middle 39 and switching up and down at the back and found my cruising speeds very good, with quick switches between the back cassette for slight inclines and slight descents

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I reckon that a triple makes a good quality road bike look very cluttered and you also need to bear in mind that some frames struggle to accept a triple crank as they've been designed specifically to be used with a double.
Just my opinion.

I've never seen a bike that couldn't take a triple if it wanted to, though in some cases it may need a band on front mech if the hangar is in the wrong place. As the OP is looking at a choice of bike with a double or triple this is a moot point anyway as the manufacturer obviously believes they work fine on the bike.

I'm firmly in the triple camp as I prefer to have gears available at the bottom end if needed. My touring bike actually has a compact triple on the front (42-32-22) and an 11-32t cassette, and all have been useful when loaded up.

My experiences with a compact were of a lot of front chain ring switches and weird chain lines to get useful gears. I also prefer riding to walking up hills.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I get that some aesthetically prefer a double/compact but to describe a triple as cluttered is a bit of a stretch. Once you have an FD and front shifter with attendant cables then you're already 'cluttered', the presence of an inner ring is hardly bringing a great deal to the party in that sense. If you want to de-clutter then going for a single chainring and no FD or front shifter is surely the answer.

I have 48/36/26 with 11-25 on my road bike and my tourer has a Rohloff with a low equivalent to 22 front and 33 rear.

If you run out of gears at the top end you can always freewheel, I've never managed to freewheel up a hill yet.

Zofo

Veteran
Oh wow! Wind them up and watch them go eh? I guessed the word "naff" might provoke a response or two.
Oh well in for a penny etc......

Rather than debating the merits of a triple over a compact maybe you should question why you are struggling up hills anyway.Maybe a reduction in body weight and/ or increase in leg strength would be more beneficial, healthier and cheaper. One last thing, hills are meant to be hard - that's why we love them isn't it? ---at the end of the day you could just buy a scooter.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Very good Zofo and I'm following your logic chain very clearly but it still leaves me a little puzzled. Why don't you MTFU and just ride fixed or if you're a bit weak SS? Surely an intellect of your stature can't be unaware that it would provide more of all the benefits you list.

I get that you're a little scared but trust me it'll toughen up your puny little legs and shift some of that blubber hanging around your waist. More importantly it will significantly improve your circulation and allow some much needed extra oxygen to reach your brain.

Zofo

Veteran
I get that you're a little scared but trust me it'll toughen up your puny little legs and shift some of that blubber hanging around your waist. More importantly it will significantly improve your circulation and allow some much needed extra oxygen to reach your brain.

Hysterical MacB, no wonder you chose cheese for your avatar.

Rather than debating the merits of a triple over a compact maybe you should question why you are struggling up hills anyway.Maybe a reduction in body weight and/ or increase in leg strength would be more beneficial, healthier and cheaper. One last thing, hills are meant to be hard - that's why we love them isn't it? ---at the end of the day you could just buy a scooter.

Who says I struggle up hills? Don't think I have had call to drop bellow the middle ring at all this year on either the tourer or the road bike and the road bike is running 42 middle and a 12 - 26 cassette. But my next bike will be a triple, maybe I just think they look better?? Maybe I just don't want to f$%^K my knees up grinding away the next time I do a 33% climb. But if thats your thing to be butch and manly and to get to the top and wheeze that you did it on a compact:smooch:

Zofo

Veteran
Glad to see a friendly welcome awaits new members, I was only offering an opinion- that's what forums are about-- or so I thought.

Glad to see a friendly welcome awaits new members, I was only offering an opinion- that's what forums are about-- or so I thought.
And in order to pre-empt that warm fuzzy welcome you decide that all forum members with a triple chainset have

a) no taste
b) are over weight
c) are unfit.

hey at least I gave you a big :smooch:

Top Bottom