Roubaix or Tarmac?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Morning. I know there is already a thread on here and I have read it, just want a different angle - considering the financial aspects. Currently have a Specialized Allez and a Boardman CX, but work have just started a cycle to work scheme - so now feel obliged to upgrade up to £1000. Anyway, narrowed down two bargains - Specialized Tarmac 2015 - with 105, at £999:00 - or Specialized Roubaix 2014 - only £700 but with Sora only. I know that Roubaix is more comfortable and Tarmac more racy and the Tarmac certainly looks a more sexy in orange, but is it worth the extra £300? On the cycle to work scheme, I imagine the Taiurmac would be c. £660 and the Roubaix £490 ish. Any suggestions?

the snail

Guru
The tarmac is similar geometry to the allez isn't it, so you know what you're getting. If you don't want a more relaxed ride, makes sense to get the tarmac - £170 difference is probably similar cost to upgrading and selling the sora kit.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Wouldn't touch Sora with a barge pole worst group set I've ever used. If you don't find the Allez uncomfortable I'd go for the Tarmac. If you want a more relaxed ride go for the Roubaix. Or don't buy a new bike get the new 105 11speed and some new wheels and your bike will feel completely different.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't think you can use c2w for just parts

Why not look at other brands, often get more bang for buck as compared to specialized

Globalti

Legendary Member
My son and I ride SL4 Roubaix and Tarmac with almost identical wheels, same size, same groupset, same saddle, same tyres. It's difficult to explain the difference but the Tarmac definitely has a lower position and a stiffer feeling frame, which to me feels a little dull, whereas my Roubaix has a more upright endurance positon and a slightly more "lively" springy feel to the frame, which I like very much. However in your position I would go for that Tarmac with 105. Hope that helps.

Whatever frame you like. Personally I would get the roubaix and then change the groupset if that bothered by it as its easier changing that rather than the frame.

Top Bottom