Rough gear shifts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

So, after various unexpected difficulties and some useful advice from this forum, I managed to swap the wheels on my bike for a new set.

Since the cassette was jammed on the old wheels, I bought and fitted a new one. Both were Shimano 105 (11 speed). Although the old chain was ok, undecided to fit a new one.

Went out for a cycle today and after 4 miles the chain snapped. My guess is that I hadn't fully inserted the joining pin. Gear changes were ok.

Got home, removed the broken link and joined the chain with a quick link. On the bike stand the gear shifts felt fine. However, a short spin round the area revealed that the gear shifts were very ragged and at times the chain felt under real tension - I pushed too hard it would snap.

I'm close to the point where I might have to turn this over to the LBS but for my own interest I'd like to try and fix it.

Any suggestions?

Mike_P

Guru
Are you sure the chain length is correct?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Are you sure the chain length is correct?
As far as I can see. I laid it out beside the old one (which only had about 1000 miles on it) and the length was pretty much exactly the same.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Did you route the chain correctly? Can you take a close up photo side on of the rear derailure?
I think I did, but photo attached.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200627_202226.jpg
    MVIMG_20200627_202226.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 13
  • MVIMG_20200627_202218.jpg
    MVIMG_20200627_202218.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 12

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I could be wrong but something doesn’t look right?
From where the chain leaves the top jockey wheel to where it engages with the cassette doesn’t seem to be running in a straight line?
The derailleur and jockey wheels really need a good clean too.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I could be wrong but something doesn’t look right?
From where the chain leaves the top jockey wheel to where it engages with the cassette doesn’t seem to be running in a straight line?
The derailleur and jockey wheels really need a good clean too.
Hhmm - will have another look in the morning. It looks similar to my other bike, but I didn't have a close check.

Yeah, the derailleur seemed clean-ish this morning but was filthy when I got back. Must have been more residual dirt and grease than I thought.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It looks like the derailleur cage is broken.
View attachment 532804
Yep, sure looks like it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hhmm - will have another look in the morning. It looks similar to my other bike, but I didn't have a close check.

Yeah, the derailleur seemed clean-ish this morning but was filthy when I got back. Must have been more residual dirt and grease than I thought.
Your chain had probrably far too much oil or lube which picked up a load of road dust/debris. Next time after cleaning and relubing the chain, use a rag to wipe the excess. For day to day dry riding a chain doesn't need a lot of lubrication.

Reactions: Dwn

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Indeed it is broken. The chain is also running at a very funny angle from the cassette to the top jockey wheel. Look at the sharp angle in the chain behind the mount point I’ve drawn a red circle. Is that a wolf / road link the derailleur is mounted on? Is the chain caught on it, maybe a bolt sticking out? The chain should be wrapped further round the bottom cassette teeth, but it’s miles away.

Mike_P

Guru
It might do. Or whatever caused that break has also misaligned the derailleur.
I've just had a misaligned derailleur which was making me think from the noise the chain was jumping on the cogs when it was actually jumping off and running on the side of the bottom pulley wheel

Reactions: Dwn
OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Indeed it is broken. The chain is also running at a very funny angle from the cassette to the top jockey wheel. Look at the sharp angle in the chain behind the mount point I’ve drawn a red circle. Is that a wolf / road link the derailleur is mounted on? Is the chain caught on it, maybe a bolt sticking out? The chain should be wrapped further round the bottom cassette teeth, but it’s miles away.

View attachment 532806
Thanks for highlighting - will have a proper look in the morning.

Top Bottom