Roundabout Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unless I've missed it in an earlier post then there is really only one sensible alternative to taking primary - get off the road and use the pedestrian crossing points to make your way around and then rejoin after the roundabout.

Personally I would take primary approaching a roundabout or any junction where we are stopping and a vehicle might turn left across me (traffic lights, T-junction etc.) Where I've failed to do this I either get off the bike and use pedestrian facilities or I wait until any vehicles next to me have gone and I can get back in to primary to negotiate the junction.

Of course, if you do end up on the left and someone comes along side then left hooks you at speed its entirely their fault and their insurers will be liable to your estate suing them... but really who wants to be in the right at that price...

Take the lane earlier as you approach. Doesn't matter if you might delay a 4*4 by a few seconds, not your fault for wanting to avoid being cut up.

On the roundabout I like to cycle slightly right of centre of the lane - imagine cycling over the RHS wheeltrack or where the driver would be sitting. Puts you in a strong position and gives you more space if someone decides to pull out on you.

As you're going round make sure you get firm eye contact with drivers waiting to enter the RB. Even if they still decide to pull out in front of you at least you know they are aware of your presence.

515mm

I would take the whole lane also - it makes any car drivers behind aware you know what you are doing.

Car drivers become impatient with other road users who they deem incompetent - notice how many road users loathe older drivers who take their time and extra care by driving a bit slower than the rest of us.

A good ostentatious look behind you before you perform your manouvre - look 'em in the eye, it's a good psychological technique to assert yourself and with a clear hand signal move to the centre of the lane. The same manouvre should be used for 'pinch points' wherever they are...

biking_fox

Guru
If the 4x4 Had been indicating at that point - and given you said it was a quiet road - I might have been tempted to wait the few seconds, allow it to pull away ahead of you, and then take your primary position through the roundabout.

Depends on how busy it is, you can't give way to everyone or else you'll never get home.

CotterPin

One other small point - did you arrive at the roundabout before the driver or was he already there? If the former, I would suggest the strong primary as others have suggested coupled with looking back at the driver so there is no chance he can come alongside you. If the latter, then I would suggest waiting behind him, again in the primary position, rather than coming around him and waiting next to him where you are less visible.

ian_uk

You should look behind you and find a safe gap to move into well before the roundabout, gives you a chance to get safely in primary well before the junction, there is also a chance the driver thought because you stayed left that you actually wanted to go left. Still no excuses for poor driving. Don't worry too much about being slow, not everyone is Lance Armstrong and the more you practice the more comfortable you will feel. I know how I felt about riding in the middle of the traffic flow before but I just do it now without thinking.

buggi

Bird Saviour
absolutely can only confirm what other people have said. i ALWAYS without fail take primary position at junctions and RAB's even when i am turning left, i occupy the middle of the left hand lane. At junctions i presume that all drivers are plebs and give them absolutely NO excuse to left hook me, even if i'm turning left.

antisocial some may say, but those "some" are usually the idiot drivers that will left hook you.

Self preservation is a must. don't apologise for using the road... own your space! If you act second class, you will be treated like it.

buggi

Bird Saviour
One other small point - did you arrive at the roundabout before the driver or was he already there? If the former, I would suggest the strong primary as others have suggested coupled with looking back at the driver so there is no chance he can come alongside you. If the latter, then I would suggest waiting behind him, again in the primary position, rather than coming around him and waiting next to him where you are less visible.

if you are using primary, this scenario shouldn't apply and the question wouldn't need to be asked... as you wouldn't be cycling up the inside of any car already there, you would be taking primary behind him.

OP
OP
mgarl10024

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi all,

Thanks again for all of your great replies.

The common advice seems to be to take the primary position, so that's what I'll do from now on. I'll 'own' that bit of road.

In answer to the question as to who came to the junction first - it was me. I'd pulled up before the 4x4, which is why I thought he/she would have given me first chance to pull away.

Some people advised cycle training - I've since registered with the local council's scheme. They take you out on 3 free lessons, tackling any issues you may have. Sounded overdue for me, so thanks for the nudge.

Thanks again,

MG

Top Bottom